Formalities

Johnnysa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
Howzit all, from sunny South Africa.
I am a field herper from Durban on the east coast. Witch is fortunate because Kinixys are my passion. Here in KwaZulu Natal, we are very fortunate to find K.natalensis, K.spekii and K.zombensis.
I try to get out as often as possible and it is great to see these gems in their natural habitat.
Here are a few pics from a few years ago.
A handsome K.zombensis on a morning after some rain. Near mKuze.
image.jpg
A very young K.natalensis as it was found just under a rock on a wet, overcast morning. Near mKuze.
image.jpg
image.jpg
A young S.pardalis that was crossing a path in mKuze Game Reserve.
image.jpg

I really need to take a camera out more.
Anyway, thanks for a great forum.

Cheers,
Johnny.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I agree, great pix. You do need to bring your camera out more with you, it's really neat to see these torts, all torts in their native conditions.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
A friend of mine goes over to east Africa yearly and does herping. He spectates that tje zombensis typically come out early and late and mostly after rains. I wanted to know more on natalensis. This is a highly desired species I wish to work with. My zombensis seems to be true of his observations. Do you ever see lobatse in this territory at all?
Howzit all, from sunny South Africa.
I am a field herper from Durban on the east coast. Witch is fortunate because Kinixys are my passion. Here in KwaZulu Natal, we are very fortunate to find K.natalensis, K.spekii and K.zombensis.
I try to get out as often as possible and it is great to see these gems in their natural habitat.
Here are a few pics from a few years ago.
A handsome K.zombensis on a morning after some rain. Near mKuze.
View attachment 91611
A very young K.natalensis as it was found just under a rock on a wet, overcast morning. Near mKuze.
View attachment 91614
View attachment 91612
A young S.pardalis that was crossing a path in mKuze Game Reserve.
View attachment 91615

I really need to take a camera out more.
Anyway, thanks for a great forum.

Cheers,
Johnny.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome and thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures!

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Johnnysa

5 Year Member
South Africa
Thanks all.
Tortadise all the Kinixys are almost crepuscular, always active early morning & late afternoon. They are easy to find during rain & just after it, it's like a marching call to them. K.natalensis is quite a lot more rare than K.zombensis, but very similar, except for their habitat preferences. 'NHT' are found in rocky areas, associated with hills, mountain & ranges. 'BHT' are more of a coastal spp, preferring coastal alluvial. They seem to do very well in the monoculture forestry(pine & eucalyptus). 'SHT' only just enter KwaZulu Natal in the north eastern corner near the Lebombo range that divides KZN & Swaziland. I cannot comment any on their behavior or habitat as they have to date eluded me. All spp show a preference for well drained soil.
Unfortunately, here, like anywhere else tortoises are found, people pick them up & take them home. They are also poached in large numbers for both the pet & food trade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Johnny!