Forest Hingeback

cstone22

Location (City and/or State)
The Thumb, Michigan
Hello all! I'm so happy to have found this forum. I picked up my first tortoise today, and I'm reading some comments on this speices - and feeling a little ill prepared with the lesson I was given from the previous owner. I originally came to see what could be done for his shell - he seems incredibly dry. Now I'm curious about humidity (as I was told a water pool would keep him happy). I was also told a veggie diet, but see many suggestions for a more omnivorous diet. Any advice would be appreciated. Shame on the owner, and shame on me for not doing my research prior. I can assure you though, I'm up to the challenge and very excited for our new family member! Just need some sound advice from some experienced and knowledgable tortoise owners :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I always prefer knowing which forest species it is we are talking about...homes or erosa? My laptop is not showing a picture posted, so can you take some shots of him/her so we can see just what shell dryness you have? A pool is very much a part of their life and needs, but your right, you will need to have more humidity then just that. Simple things like using a moisture holding substrate including things like leaf liter, misting, and partial covered enclosures are simple quick fixes. If you tell us how your planning on housing him, we can give you some ideas and suggestions.

What is he eating?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I love to see a photo of this torts and may learn something here again.

cstone22

The Thumb, Michigan
I am at work right now, but will post a picture tonight. Right now he is in a 70 gallon tank with the EcoEarth coconut substrate. He has a small pool and a log cave. He wasn't very active yesterday at all, but spent most of last night exploring (I slept in the same room to keep an eye on him). He hasn't eaten anything, but I have a selection of veggies and mushrooms for him - I think the stress of the change and the previous living situation that I now know was not optimal. I do have a picture of just his face after a warm soak yesterday - he seems to only be interested in my daughter, he peaks out for her when she handles him!ImageUploadedByTortForum1396533332.257485.jpg

I forgot to answer on the species. The woman did not tell me details - she didn't seem to know much (I feel much better having him). Any clues on differentiating? I know he's a male, but not his age - he's about five or six inches long and has the defined hinge (so at least a year). Oh, and my daughter named him Patchi after a favorite dinosaur character in a movie!

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
cstone22 said:
I am at work right now, but will post a picture tonight. Right now he is in a 70 gallon tank with the EcoEarth coconut substrate. He has a small pool and a log cave. He wasn't very active yesterday at all, but spent most of last night exploring (I slept in the same room to keep an eye on him). He hasn't eaten anything, but I have a selection of veggies and mushrooms for him - I think the stress of the change and the previous living situation that I now know was not optimal. I do have a picture of just his face after a warm soak yesterday - he seems to only be interested in my daughter, he peaks out for her when she handles him!

I forgot to answer on the species. The woman did not tell me details - she didn't seem to know much (I feel much better having him). Any clues on differentiating? I know he's a male, but not his age - he's about five or six inches long and has the defined hinge (so at least a year). Oh, and my daughter named him Patchi after a favorite dinosaur character in a movie!

I can tell your daughter have the Love of first sight of Patchi. Great photo. She is lovely. Now we will wait for the photo of Patchi to judge.....

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi, for the first look it looks like a kinixys homeana homes hingeback.
But please share some more pics.
One tip kinixys-hingeback aren't the right tortoises to pick up every time. They get really stressed when you pick up them more that other tortoises. When they are stressed they urinate often. And than monads and other parasites can come in and their tummy can't work so good. So maybe they don't eat and die after a time. Also they need high temperature and humidity and in your hand they haven't got this requirements. To low temperatures and humidity can make sniff and wet eyes which isn't got for the tortoise too. So my tip don't put your tortoise to often out of his terrarium ;-)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Odds are also favoring it to be a homes, but pictures will tell. How long have you had him? It's very common for tortoises, but especially hingebacks to not want to eat right away. I would suggest placing his food dish just outside of his hide. That helps to keep him feeling more secure. Also you might want to tempt him with some fruit... papaya, strawberries. melon are some good ones to start off with trying. As you have found out, they are much more active in the early morning and especially late evening hours. It's a great sign that he was being active.

What temps are you keeping him? Lights?

cstone22

The Thumb, Michigan
I took my lunch to come home and take some pics. The first few I kept him dry so you could see the areas I'm worried about. Then I misted him down to show his coloration a bit better...ImageUploadedByTortForum1396540513.079830.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396540522.630275.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396540531.330163.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396540540.380238.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396540552.263637.jpg

I just added some strawberries to his dish in an attempt at a bribe, and moved it as well. I just got him yesterday, so he's very new to this environment. I've kept a night bulb on him so far with temps around 80. The woman said the UV day bulbs seemed to put a lot of stress on him, so I don't think she used them much. I have one and hope to integrate some real light once he's settled a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Homeana just by the head. Erosa have a different shaped head and much lighter facial features. All good info here on feeding and care for this Tortoise has been given. They love fruit, will sparingly eat greens, and mushrooms mixed with worms are a favorite

cstone22

The Thumb, Michigan
tortadise said:
Homeana just by the head. Erosa have a different shaped head and much lighter facial features. All good info here on feeding and care for this Tortoise has been given. They love fruit, will sparingly eat greens, and mushrooms mixed with worms are a favorite

Does his shell look concerning to you? He seems very dry and I know he had no humidity in his last home - just a bath to soak in.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
A little. The key to knowing if they are dry is by the tissue and scales on the legs, head, and tail. When they tend to get too dry they will have a white to grey colored crackled look. Also knowing that they have never been kept moist or sprayed down is another way of knowing. These guys love water(and need it). Spray with warm to hot water twice a day lightly in the enclosure. But do it during a warmer part of day so it does not get cold and wet. Cold and wet can cause problems.