FOOD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
WHats the best vegetable to give my baby sulcatas, I have tortoise food and I do buy there greens too but I want the best for them! I also want some good vitamins for them, any ideas?

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
I don't think there's a best vegetable. Some things to add to what you're already feeding them would be optunia pads, pumpkin, winter squashes.

Xander

5 Year Member
Dandelion greens are good for them. They have lots of fiber. Dont know if thats what you ment by veg but my tort loves them. You can buy them at whole foods.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
What kind of tortoise food do you use? I don't use too many veggies myself, although I may offer some carrots once in a GREAT while...other than that...greens are your best bet! Collard greens, mulberry leaves, chickory, endive, escarole, arugula and watercress are AWESOME! Chop up some opuntia (prickly pear cactus) pads at least once a week. And, in October, run a chunk or two of pumpkin (with the seeds) through your food processor. They love it and the seeds are an excellent wormer...but it's the inside of the seeds they need...that's why I run it through the processor. Also, it couldn't hurt to chop up some aloe every few months! Also...you can check out the links in my signature!

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
What kind of tortoise food do you use? I don't use too many veggies myself, although I may offer some carrots once in a GREAT while...other than that...greens are your best bet! Collard greens, mulberry leaves, chickory, endive, escarole, arugula and watercress are AWESOME! Chop up some opuntia (prickly pear cactus) pads at least once a week. And, in October, run a chunk or two of pumpkin (with the seeds) through your food processor. They love it and the seeds are an excellent wormer...but it's the inside of the seeds they need...that's why I run it through the processor. Also, it couldn't hurt to chop up some aloe every few months! Also...you can check out the links in my signature!

Aloe vera is good??? Bc I have Tons of that?!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
'Tortoise food' is ok for supplement. Mazuri, Grass land etc. Not for the diet. They need more natural food. grass, weeds etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The best diet for them is grasses and weeds of the right type. You can order pasture mixes from peaceful valley farms. Tyler at tortoisesupply.com has a Russian tortoise mix that is FANTASTIC! It's fine for sulcatas, especially if you are feeding them a bunch of grass too. You can grow it in pots or in the ground.

We have a weed ID section here to help you learn the right ones, or you can post pics of what you have there in your yard and we can tell you what it is.

You can also feed hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, spineless opuntia cactus, roses and their leaves, pansies, gazanias, carnations, nasturtiums, etc... The list is endless.

Vegetables should only rarely be fed and in small quantities. Grocery store greens are okay too, but all of the above stuff is much better for them.

aSoldiersWife

5 Year Member
They love the aloe!!! Thanks guys I'm definitely going to widen their variety of food now!!!

Attachments

• image-2620333233.png
    image-2620333233.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image-4192056067.png
    image-4192056067.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image-1501140911.png
    image-1501140911.png
    748.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.