FOOD

Best food??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoeLynch

5 Year Member
[/font]Toroises are wild animals right, so should they have a natural diet or eat shop bought foods?
My spu-thighed toroise George :tort: is fed on a natural diet i grow plants for him to eat such as basil, chives and water cress.. but what do you use and how effective is it of offering your toroise the correct balence of vitamins???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
All of my tortoises live outside year round, so they have natural grazing. I've tried to plant the types of graze in their respective pens that each species is fond of. Because the Aldabrans grow so fast and are so big, I supplement their diet with a once-a-week feeding of Mazuri Tortoise Diet, and at that feeding I can add calcium and vitamins.

I'm not a fan of feeding exclusively a manufactured diet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Natural grazing and browsing is best, but not always possible due to the time of year, geographic location or other reasons.

We all try to give our tortoises the best possible diet, but have to be pragmatic about the practicalities.

Those who are unable to feed an entirely natural diet should not and must not be made to feel guilty. For that reason, I have not voted above.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Prefer to feed mine as "natural" as I can, but dried weeds/greens, mixed w/ soaked Marion Red Stick tortoise chow, is an important part of their diet, too...particularily during the winter, when fresh weeds are hard to come by.

Therefore, there should've been a "Both" choice. :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
JoesMum said:
Natural grazing and browsing is best, but not always possible due to the time of year, geographic location or other reasons.

We all try to give our tortoises the best possible diet, but have to be pragmatic about the practicalities.

Those who are unable to feed an entirely natural diet should not and must not be made to feel guilty. For that reason, I have not voted above.

DITTO

Terry Allan Hall said:
Prefer to feed mine as "natural" as I can, but dried weeds/greens, mixed w/ soaked Marion Red Stick tortoise chow, is an important part of their diet, too...particularily during the winter, when fresh weeds are hard to come by.

Therefore, there should've been a "Both" choice. :tort:

DITTO

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
JoesMum said:

Very well said I agree 100%. I live in northeast North America so wild food is not always possible year round. I will say I generally feed my tortoises wild weeds until they're no longer available then it's grocery store greens. I use the pellet foods like a supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.