food question (russian)

laramill

Location (City and/or State)
NCentral Wisconsin
Hi all--
I've got a food question for someone with some experience.

I live in Wisconsin and so am forced to feed Wilson from the grocery store for a good chunk of the year. I do have wild strawberry, sedum, and hen-and-chicks planted in his winter indoor enclosure, but he really doesn't chew on them too often. I also have some spider plants in there he'll chomp on now and then. I tried to grow some dandelions and snap dragons, but our house is cold, dark and dry in the winter, so that was slow going and not real successful. (Really the most pleasant place is his enclosure! Haha)

I want to get a growing table set up into the basement before next winter and hope to feel confident enough about his progress to hibernate him after that... but until then- his special treats are when I could get the Christmas cactus or hibiscus to flower, or a leaf or two from the dandelion I potted this fall that managed to survive on my windowsill. We are still a long way from having weeds outside here this year and more snow is predicted for next week... (I had to incorporate him into our family so quickly this fall that I've had some regrets in not having everything thought-out perfectly, but there really was no alternative under the circumstances he came to us)

I feed him the full array of leafy greens from the grocery store, with spring mix, romaine, radicchio, kale, green/red lettuce being the mainstays, and other varieties sprinkled in now and then. He's not into carrot at all, though I do still offer it from time to time. Now and then (rarely) I'll give him a tiny flowerette of broccoli just so he's not too bored.

With all that as background- my questions are these:

I read at other sites that squash is fine to feed- so I've added zucchini to his regular lineup-- but I've noticed that isn't mentioned too often here- Whats the general feeling on it? Could someone cook slightly (to soften it) winter squash and offer that? (I'd imagine there may be some sugar content concerns with those, which is why I stuck with summer squash so far- but do I need to?)

My second question is, I was watching a clip on youtube the other day in which someone ( I believe in Japan) was feeding their pet russian bean sprouts- the tort was sure enjoying them, but what is the feeling on that?
Is that something I could offer now and again?

Last, this made me wonder about other sprouts sold in the produce dept. Any opinions?

This is probably just my transferring my human-need for food variety on to poor Wilson, but I just remember how excited he'd get when I'd find him wild snap dragons last fall and bring them in-- that little tort would come running!
Now I feel like every morning he looks at me like "Leaves again?!?"

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The problem is people need protein , torts need fiber, sprouts have more protein ,less fiber squash have more protein less fiber , grass has more fiber .
Torts only need hibernation if your going to breed them if not it's better not to hibernate them .

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
The problem is people need protein , torts need fiber, sprouts have more protein ,less fiber squash have more protein less fiber , grass has more fiber .
Torts only need hibernation if your going to breed them if not it's better not to hibernate them .

Okay... so I'm hearing no on the sprouts! Is the squash okay as an occasional?

In all honesty, the hibernation thing sort of freaks me out! I would love to avoid it- After we took in Wilson and I was in a mad dash doing research on how to care for him, I was so relieved when I read that you shouldn't hibernate a tort that was in questionable health (and he was at the time, without question!)...

But I thought once you had a russian tort in good health for at least a year, it was beneficial, no?

Honestly, I would feel SO relieved if I never had to because I know my blood pressure would raise a few points the whole time he was in there... but I want to make sure I'm doing what's best for him and not most convenient or least stressful for me!

I never intend to breed Wilson and honestly, unless we moved somewhere far warmer, this will be my only tort (barring another in some desperate situation falling into my lap...It seems I'm a bit of a chump this way...)

So, I'm not intending to doubt you, but is that the pretty agreed upon thinking now ? ... because honestly, if it is---- PHEEWWWWWW! :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Im in the same boat as you in Ohio. To give my Russian a good diet, with the greens I buy at the grocery store, I use a little green house in my basement. I light it with a florescent fixture "plant light" I got at Walmart for $11.oo. My little green house came from amazon & it was $40. I have planted Broadleaf seed mix from Tortoise Supply http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix. Grows fast! I also got a grapevine growing in there too! Its amaizing how well the little green house holds the heat & humidity. Good Luck!

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
lismar79 said:
Im in the same boat as you in Ohio. To give my Russian a good diet, with the greens I buy at the grocery store, I use a little green house in my basement. I light it with a florescent fixture "plant light" I got at Walmart for $11.oo. My little green house came from amazon & it was $40. I have planted Broadleaf seed mix from Tortoise Supply http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix. Grows fast! I also got a grapevine growing in there too! Its amaizing how well the little green house holds the heat & humidity. Good Luck!

Super! Never thought to look at Amazon for something!

I just feel like I should be doing better- I tried to grow seeds I collected this fall in his enclosure, but he had a knack of trampling & digging just as they sprouted. (The only time he'd go in that little corner was when seeds were sprouting- didn't seem to eat the seedlings- just stomp,stomp!)

Thanks- I'll head over to amazon as soon as I finish up here!

dariceboij

Orlando,FL
Hey Lismar79 i was curious as to how to harvest the food or do you continually have to replant seeds i dont have much of a green thumb so i have no clue.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You may be able to find more greens than you think at the grocery store. I get escarole, endive, and even dandelion leaves as well as spring mix, kale...

No on the squash. Stick to leaves and flowers. What you are able to grow indoors will be a good supplement. I get hibiscus flowers indoors, sometimes flowers from cantaloupe seeds.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hey Lismar79 i was curious as to how to harvest the food or do you continually have to replant seeds i dont have much of a green thumb so i have no clue.
I just cut it off as it grew And only what I needed fot the day. Grew back just fine.