Food Confusion!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hey just read on the ttt.com that citrus and orange trees are harmful to torts and that a bunch of these weeds are unsafe but I saw the same weeds the are in seed packages for sale online? Im confused!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I'm a bit confused too. What weeds are you talking about?

I have citrus trees in my tortoises' habitats. The trees aren't going to harm the tortoises. However, if I don't pick all the fruit, I certainly DO clean it all up from the ground. They can eat it safely if not over-done, but I don't like them to.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
emysemys said:
Well, I'm a bit confused too. What weeds are you talking about?

I have citrus trees in my tortoises' habitats. The trees aren't going to harm the tortoises. However, if I don't pick all the fruit, I certainly DO clean it all up from the ground. They can eat it safely if not over-done, but I don't like them to.

i have tangerine tree, lemon tree, and a orange tree

and a small mulberry plant

oh and ttt.com said birdsfoot plant is unsafe but on the seed mix online it says that it includes birdsfoot?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have read that the safety of a plant is really based on if it is safe for other animals or not. If it is safe for other animals and even humans then it is tort safe. Some plants are considered safe but only in small amounts. No one really knows for sure if any plant is tort safe or not. I seen it many times, a plant on one list safe and another not. I guess you need to make your own call on some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.