food amount for russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Nor CAl

5 Year Member
Hey everybody.... I acquired 2 Russian tortoises last week, I have been feeding them green and they eat all of it real fast...which is good, but how much am I supposed to feed them per day? and how often... I also bought them tortoise food (pallets) but they don't seem to eat it???? any idea or suggestions...Please..Thx any help will be really appreciated...
Jules

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
For a healthy Russian that gets excercize, i go with what gets eaten in 20 minutes. Broad, leafy greens/weeds are great. There are food links of edible plants here on the forum. The pellets should be soaked in warm water to make them more edible,( although my Russians aren't interested in them).
If yours doesn't get a lot of excercize, maybe break it into two feedings.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Russians are piggies when they are active and healthy. I like the 20 minute idea, it works nicely for adults. Hatchlings I let feed as much and as often as they want. I just make sure they always have a bit available.

Jules Nor CAl

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody for the reply(s) helps a lot... My Russians eat like crazy all the greens, but no interest in the pallets what so ever....Does the calcium make more appealing? ( are the pallets an absolute Necessity?) if not I'll keep them there but focus on green..... Thx again ...I usualy give them 2 feeding a day...One first thing in morning and one at lunch or late afternoon....Nothing goes uneaten....

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
No the pellets are not at all necessary. A varied diet of broad leafy greens and weeds is the best thing for them. Mine are loving all of the weeds our wet weather is creating. A couple handfuls of dandelion and mallow and mine go crazy for it! I personally take all of mine off of any commercial food as soon as possible whenever they come in. Some of the rescues who have never had weeds don't get it at first, but they figure it out within a few tentative bites

Status
Not open for further replies.