Fluorescent tube question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I have read online that fluorescent UVB tubes are not helpful in preventing mbd and I am wondering if any of you use fluorescent tubes w/ strip lights and if they have been successful for you. Also do they hurt the tortoises eyes? There were some threads about that on here....

I currently have a regular lightbulb, but I also take the redfoot out into the sun couple days a week max for a total of maybe 6 hours of sunlight.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
The only good fluorescent is the one you leave on the shelf...MVB is the way to go. It would help if you could get him into the sunlight at least 4-6 hours a day...but if not, MVB.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use a long tube 5.0 uvb on one side of all my vivariums, for my Cherry Heads and all my boxies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
The only good fluorescent is the one you leave on the shelf...MVB is the way to go. It would help if you could get him into the sunlight at least 4-6 hours a day...but if not, MVB.

Do they not emit as much uvb.....what's the problem with fluorescents?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dean and I agree on this one. Despite what the manufacturers claim and what the fancy light meters say, the flourescent tubes do not emit enough UV to prevent MBD. I have pulled countless animals with MBD out from under them and rehabbed them with sunshine and or MVBs. They do light up the tank and look nice, but they are not enough to prevent MBD unless you have species like TerryO's redfoots or boxies that get some D3 in their diet. For most species of tortoise you need as much sun as possible and if you live in the frozen North an MVB will get you through the long winter.

The eye damage was allegedly caused by the CFLs (compact flourescent lightbulbs). These are the coil type ones, not the long tube ones.

Some people want to debate this, but again, I have personally seen animals directly under properly used flourescent UV tubes with advanced stages of MBD. The pet store told these people that that was all their pet needed. The pet store was wrong. I have also seen studies that back this up. One was on green iguanas back in the 90's. It found that they made no D3 under the flourescents and did not assimilate D3 into their blood if given a dietary D3 supplement either. What did allow them to make D3? Sunshine. MVBs were not around back then, but I can tell you from personal experience that they DO work and they will not only prevent MBD, but they will reverse MBD. I have still living proof right down stairs.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One problem with the term UVB is that it covers a group of wavelengths, from 315 to 280nanometers. 315 is close to UVA, and 280 is close to the rather dangerous and high energy UVC range.

The best range for D3 production is up near 280nm, but most fluorescent bulbs focus on the range closer to UVA, which is easier and cheaper. I have not seen a study on the actual output of MVBs, but based on Tom's comments, I would have to think they are pushing closer to 280nm.

Tom- do you have any good links for MVBs, etc.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Madkins007 said:
Tom- do you have any good links for MVBs, etc.?

No. I'm going off of personal observations of hundreds of animals and situations. Remember, I work with animals and animal compounds for a living and I did 8 years of retail pet and pet store management, plus one year of wholesale before that. I've seen a whole lot of stuff in that time. The good, the bad, and the ugly...

MVBs are relatively new to the reptile scene (well new in comparison to an old fart like me, whose been messin' with the pet trade since to 70's when I was a kid). If there have been studies done with blood tests and D3 level checks, I haven't seen them yet. When I read that iguana study years ago, it really stuck with me, because the science had now proved EXACTLY what I was seeing every day in peoples homes.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom, do you have a reference to the iguana study?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal Butler said:
Tom, do you have a reference to the iguana study?

No. It was years ago. I have one book that it might have been in. I'll check, but probably not. It was in the early 90's when I was working at a pet store. If I happen to find it, I will scan and post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.