Fluid from nose concern

Plato Zorba

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
This morning I noticed a stream of fluid shoot quickly from the nose of our male Eastern Box while he was eating. It only happened once, but it was a quick, straight stream, almost like a sneeze. I watched him for about 20 minutes afterward and didn't notice anything usual about his behavior. Has anyone else experienced this before? Everything I've read about infections points to a regular "runny" nose but I saw nothing like that when i checked him over. It was just a quick, single event. There was also a water dish near by, and it's possible he had been drinking before i saw him. Just curious whether this is something I should be concerned about and seek our vet out, or if it's something more common. I've never noticed anything like this with any of our turtles before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One would sometimes see water streaming from the turtle's nostrils after the animal has had a drink. The nostrils end up in the roof of the mouth, not down into the lungs, so fluid from the mouth sometimes comes out the nose.

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
One would sometimes see water streaming from the turtle's nostrils after the animal has had a drink. The nostrils end up in the roof of the mouth, not down into the lungs, so fluid from the mouth sometimes comes out the nose.
Thanks Yvonne