Flowers in Tortoise’s Enclosure

ErikaSierra

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Hi guys, I want to plant some flowers and veggies in my tortoise’s habitat but many of the plants have already been fertilized and sprayed with pesticides. I know I can switch the plant into my own organic fertilizer but I’m afraid the flowers would still be toxic to my tortoise. Would you guys recommend I just grow my own from seeds? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If its just fertilizer, that's okay, just wash the dirt away and use your own. Pesticide is a no go.
Ask the nursery you get the plants from. If you can find any safe ones, then yes, start from seeds or plant them away from your tort for 6 months and then you could move them into his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, I want to plant some flowers and veggies in my tortoise’s habitat but many of the plants have already been fertilized and sprayed with pesticides. I know I can switch the plant into my own organic fertilizer but I’m afraid the flowers would still be toxic to my tortoise. Would you guys recommend I just grow my own from seeds? Thank you!
Growing from seed is great, but you can also get a big head start for some plants by growing from cuttings off of long established plants.

ErikaSierra

Tucson
If its just fertilizer, that's okay, just wash the dirt away and use your own. Pesticide is a no go.
Ask the nursery you get the plants from. If you can find any safe ones, then yes, start from seeds or plant them away from your tort for 6 months and then you could move them into his enclosure.
Okay I will definitely do that! Thank you

ErikaSierra

Tucson
Growing from seed is great, but you can also get a big head start for some plants by growing from cuttings off of long established plants.
I’ll have to head to my community garden then, I’ll look more into specific plants and cuttings 😇Thank you!