florida weed IDID

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
i have 3 weeds in my tortoise's enclosure. I don't know what they are but instead of yanking them all I thought I'd see if they're tortoise safe. First though, are air potatoes safe for tortoises?

I think this firstis "stinky wild Balsam apple"...? Safe?
IMG_20170623_201643.jpg

2nd one looks a bit like "air potato" but grows up like a coleus and leaf is thinner.

IMG_20170623_201703.jpg
3rd one is about 3 ft tall and bushlike with a few small Daisy like(itty bitty) white flowers with yellow/orange centers
IMG_20170623_201922.jpg

mark109r

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
i have 3 weeds in my tortoise's enclosure. I don't know what they are but instead of yanking them all I thought I'd see if they're tortoise safe. First though, are air potatoes safe for tortoises?

I think this firstis "stinky wild Balsam apple"...? Safe?
View attachment 211067

2nd one looks a bit like "air potato" but grows up like a coleus and leaf is thinner.

View attachment 211068
3rd one is about 3 ft tall and bushlike with a few small Daisy like(itty bitty) white flowers with yellow/orange centers
View attachment 211069
the 3rd one is Bidens alba, it is edible for both people and torts, my redfoots eat the young leaves.

mark109r

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
the 2nd one is Urena lobata, which is in the hibiscus family and is also edible. I have never tried feeding it to any of my torts, I pull them up by the roots when I find any coming up in my yard because they have a hard pricker seed bur that is hard to remove from our dog's hair.