Kip's new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

manda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Hello all- Kip is our rescue Russian (female) whom I intended to keep in a large outdoor enclosure in a part of our yard. She had a RI when we picked her up from the vet though, so for a little over a month she has been living in her indoor enclosure with constant heat, light, and moisture control. (for Kip's story, you can see this thread) She's been going out daily (on days that aren't too rainy) for real sunshine and grass, and I learned quickly that the intended enclosure was certainly not suitable for her- too many places that were too easy for her to escape, and a few plants that I have learned are not tort-safe.

So I set to work building this 48 sq ft enclosure, which will also serve as a kind of raised planter for her foraging food and flowers, on the fenced, concrete floored, back lanai. Even if she escapes her new home, she can't get out of the wooden privacy fence or dig her way out through the concrete; about the worst she could do would be to invade my raised tomato garden and decimate the veggies. :)

I worked hard on this, but I want it to be right for my new shell-baby, so any suggestions would be very welcome.

First I purchased the raw materials from Home Depot:

25 2x4s (so that I'd have extras)
a few 4x4 posts which I had cut down and notched at the Home Depot
one piece of 4ft x 8ft birch plywood
one piece of 4ft x 4ft birch plywood
twenty 4ft 2x2's for supports
(all the wood was boreate treated for outdoor use)
1 large roll of weed be gone garden mesh

Once all the hardware was home, I could start the fun part!
First I slid the 2x4s down into the notches on the posts to build the 2 sections of the "L box" framework. I did the long, 8ft x 4 ft "leg" of the "L" first, and then attached the shorter, 4ft x 4ft "leg". I specifically chose this nail and screw-less method for the walls so that I could easily add more posts and 2x4s at a later date and increase the size of the enclosure if and when I decide to do so.
IMG_0792_zpsc397d3d2.jpg

then I used my cordless drills to drill 2" holes (for drainage, since this is essentially a planter full of dirt and greens, and we live in a very rainy part of the world) liberally throughout the sheets of ply wood. Those sheets of plywood are the floor of the enclosure.

IMG_0790_zps9b8bdbf0.jpg

Next, I used my drills to drill small pilot holes and then attach the plywood sheets to the posts that comprise the box frames with 2 1/2" wood screws (aka- the big ones) *

Then I began to attach the 2x4 supports directly to the ply wood. I used a nail gun with 2 1/2" brads for this portion, since I wasn't interested in attempting to drill through 2x4s with my little cordless jobs.

IMG_0798_zpsde200c43.jpg

Next step was attaching the short "leg" to the big one with more wood screws through the plywood and posts and by sliding the ends of the 2x4s on the small leg into the notches on the posts of the "big leg"

IMG_0799_zpsd24b6fd1.jpg

Then I flipped the enclosure over and fitted it into the corner of the lanai.

IMG_0800_zps2a5b402b.jpg

Next, I unrolled the Weed be Gone Mesh and lined the bottom of the enclosure with it. I used tiny little wood screws (3/4" I think) to fasten the mesh in place.

IMG_0801_zpsfcc0ab8d.jpg

The mesh is to keep all the soil from draining through the irrigation holes I put in the floor at the beginning of the project.

IMG_0803_zpsd37cfa53.jpg

As you can probably see, it was getting late at this point, and since I started around 9 am, I was ready for a shower, dinner and bed. The planting would have to wait!

The next morning, I was raring to go and began filling the pen with plain, non fertilized top soil- 10 dollars per 2 cubic feet from Home Depot. I used about 16-18 cubic ft of soil.

IMG_0804_zpseaa8299c.jpg

Time for the grass seed! I used Bermuda grass since it's cheap, safe for torts, and grows well here.

IMG_0805_zps9c83f544.jpg

Last step was to add the plants, hides, basking rocks, and water dish.
I used a bag of rocks I collected with my son up near a friend's house in Diamond Head (Diamond Head is the big, famous, volcanic crater here on Oahu- very dry and desert-y, lots of great volcanic and no volcanic rocks. I used only non-volcanic rocks, mostly slate and granite, since I don't want Kippie getting cut up on Volcanic Glass)
The flowers are zinnias and marigolds, since I read that they are safe for our little shelled friends. Some are from Home Depot, and some are transplants from elsewhere in my gardens.

IMG_0814_zpse6843f73.jpg

This log hide has nasturtiums planted on either side and some Manoa lettuces and chard plants along the wall behind it.

IMG_0813_zpsf8caac09.jpg

There's a rosemary plant on the back wall to help keep the bugs at bay along with a little zoo-med tortoise playpen and "house." A friend gifted the little pre-fab playpen to us when we adopted Kip. It's too small for our full-grown Russian to use by itself, but with the end taken off, it seems like a perfect hide and grow lattice for the petunias!

IMG_0815_zpsdebf839f.jpg

After about 5 days, the pen looks like this- another week of growth and of monitoring Kip's condition in her inside-table, and then the grass will be established and Kip will be done with her prescribed antibiotics. I can't wait to introduce her to her new palace!

IMG_0812_zpse43f2760.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at my first real attempt at constructing a tortitat from scratch. Suggestions and criticisms are super welcome. Seriously, I'd hate to think that I did something that could be done much better; or worse, that I did something potentially dangerous for my new baby.

*It's important to note that my enclosure is an 'L' shape, so since I built the box upside down, it was crucial to remember which way I wanted the "L" to "point" once the enclosure was flipped over and ready to be filled.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For almost everything it is soooo awesome! :) Now for the areas I would have concerns with. The grass seed: what is in it other then grass seed? The sides(walls) of the enclosure need to be raised(or are they higher then they look?), as Russians are wonderful climbers. Also along those lines, you will really want to put a lip around the edge, but especially on those corners. Plant placement: I would suggest no plants along the very outside walls for two reasons a) they walk around the edge of their enclosures and usually any plant in their path is walked on instead of going around. Of course they may not be as close to the wall as the pictures look. b) If the rosemary does well in there it may become large enough and strong enough for him to use to climb out. Just a couple of things I noticed, but really it's an awesome enclosure, you should be proud of yourself! :tort: I just love how colorful it is!!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! What a beautiful enclosure. I love the little A-frame hide. You've really got an eye.

One note of caution -- when we moved into our house there was some plastic landscaping mesh left in the yard from the previous owner. One of our DTs found it and thought it looked tasty. Fortunately I got it away from her, but I ended up scouring the yard getting rid of the stuff. If yours is an organic material this may not be a concern. The kind in my yard was nasty old plastic.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I really like the shape and design of your enclosure. It's so cute!
The only thing I would suggest other than what Jaqui already stated is throwing some dandelion seeds other than/or addition to the grass seeds. You can get them on Amazon for 2-3 dollars. They love that stuff. :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well that thing is very nice! :) Lucky tort! Only thing I ould think of was some other stuff to plant for your tort to munch on as any other concerns have already been mentioned. My picky Russian wont eat ANYTHING from the yard. She only eats the stuff I buy from the store along with her Mazuri, which is ok with me, but I do find it odd.. Have a good day! :)

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Raise the sides if your enclosure. Super nice looking, otherwise.

Thanks,
Shelly

manda

5 Year Member
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Mahalo plenty for all the suggestions! You are all so wonderful to this total noob, and I super appreciate you!

Jaqui, the grass seed is plain old Bermuda grass seed- no fertilizers. The seed coats have been engineered for water asorption, but that shouldn't be harmful to Kippie once the grass is grown. I looked for the plain old seed that comes in a burlap bag, but no joy brah- not even at Waimanalo Feed and Supply, which is my go-to store for my all-natural aquaponics set ups. I remember my parents buying it when I was a kid, so I know its out there, I just don't know where...grumble.

Also, I will move my rosemary into a more central location, maybe over between the house and the log hide... hmmm

Do you have a suggestion on how far away from the edge I should move the zinnias and marigolds? They're about 4"-5" inches away from the edge at the moment, they tend to have a narrower root base and then get bushier as they grow up towards the sun, so there's a bit more room between them and the edges of the enclosure than there appears to be, but not much. Should I just move them all to a more central location and leave the edges completely bare maybe? (The avid gardener in me hates the thought of the aesthetic effects from an absentee border, but anything for the baby!)

Spdtrtl- what a great tip! I looked everywhere on island for dandilion seed and, of course, the folks at all the local nurseries looked at me like I was lolo! I didn't even think of going online. I'm heading right over to Amazon after I finish posting this.

thatrebecca- thanks for the tip. I've no idea if weedbegone is organic or not. I will keep a close eye on her for the first several visits to make sure she isn't interested in it before I ever leave her alone in its vicinity.

Everyone- I am going to head to City Mill for some extra 2x4s today and raise her walls by another 4" as well as adding a lip to the top. Extra thanks for alerting me to the climb-ability factor everyone! Just from our daily outings, I have learned that this little girl is a number one escape artist!

I will post pics of the upgrades as soon as they're done, but for now, here's Kip's first, brief, visit to her future home. I took her out this morning for 30 minutes after her bath, she seemed to like it.

IMG_0819_zps3ce5425b.jpg

especially the Manoa Lettuce- little piggie!

IMG_08281_zpsec8e9f25.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Love it!

Good job raising the walls. You'll see once she is in there that it was needed ;)

It's true they pace the perimeter destroying any growth in that path.. All my pens have about 5" or 6" of a dirt path lining the walls. If your plants are that distance from the wall you will be ok.

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.