Florida tortoise

Djcaberos

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
First time here and in need of help with my 1 yr old tortoise who got bit by a yorkie poo and will not move her back legs to walk! HELP.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Could you send pictures of the damage? What have you done already? I would first soak the tortoise in warm water and keep any wounds clean, but we need more info to give further advice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First time here and in need of help with my 1 yr old tortoise who got bit by a yorkie poo and will not move her back legs to walk! HELP.
What species and what size tortoise? At one year it could be 30 grams or 1500 grams.

For injuries of this nature, it is best to seek out the advice of a vet that knows tortoises. Keep it clean and disinfected and keep it covered to prevent flys from laying eggs there.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It sounds as though a spinal cord injury may very likely have taken place. If so, and the tortoise survives any other injuries which occurred, the tortoise may or may not ever be able to use its back legs again.

Healing in tortoises takes a very long time, and you will need to provide good supportive care while waiting to see if the movement returns.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Depending on where you live in Florida. Zeropilots vet is great. My vet is also good, she has reconstructed sulcata tortoise carapace and plastrons. Even if there is spinal damage. There are tortoises out there. That have wheels attached to help them get around.
What species is it?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Do you have an update on your tortoise? Spinal injuries are serious and should always be a reason to go to the vet. I hope your tortoise is getting the right care