what sex is my sulcata tortoise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa storey

5 Year Member
hello, can someone please help me determine what sex my Sulcata tortoise is? Its roughly 1 yr old. I have attached a picture for referrral.
thanks
lisa:
tort:

Attachments

• terry tortoise.jpg
    terry tortoise.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 346

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here. At one year of age, it is still to small to sex reliably.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum, it still has alot of growing to do, and it could show signs of a different gender as it grows.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Need a few more years of growth but I'd say female. Being a total shot in the dark though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

All baby tortoises have female characteristics up until they're about 3 to 5 years old. So "guessing" at this age, is just that...a guess. But my guess is for male because the tips of the anal scutes (the scutes on either side of the tail) are pointing outward and not straight back.

May we know where appx. in the world you are?

lisa storey

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Lisa:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

All baby tortoises have female characteristics up until they're about 3 to 5 years old. So "guessing" at this age, is just that...a guess. But my guess is for male because the tips of the anal scutes (the scutes on either side of the tail) are pointing outward and not straight back.

May we know where appx. in the world you are?

hi there , we are in lincoln UK ! thanks for your reply. Am into my tortoise and hubbys into his Morris Minors, he has a few that he restores and sells. how long will i have to wait to sex him or her? Do you think a vet would know? cheers

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
4 plus years for a reliable guess, a vet can do an endoscopy on it and see if it has male or female parts, but it will cost money.

lisa storey

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Need a few more years of growth but I'd say female. Being a total shot in the dark though.
thank you for that, i used to have a blue and gold macaw, she was great fun and great with the kids, but got to loud for baby sofia used to stress eachother out! whats your called?
Would you say a vet would know the tortoise sex?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Lisa and welcome to the forum...

I agree that its too early to tell...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. A vet won't be able to tell any better than we can, unless he performs the above mentioned surgical endoscopy. They don't show any definitive sexual dimorphism until they are at or nearing adulthood.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
His name is big bird. The only way a DVM can tell is an endoscopy it's about 300 bucks, and can damage their reproductive organs if your vet isn't extremely skilled in doing it. Just wait a few more years and we can all give our input again. Right now its literally just a 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.