Florida skipped spring and went to SUMMER!

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
Today hit 90 degrees today here in Orlando, FL. This changes everything in my indoor enclosure. The air conditioner is on and set at 76 or 77 at night. Just like everyone I need advise whether or not I need addition heat at night or if that will be ok. I have a CHE but just not sure if I need it. Turbo is a one year old Sulcata. He is sleeping in his humid house with sphagnum moss. Here is a picture of the enclosure. I keep the lid on the left side of his house, and I have the right side covered over his humid house. Thanks. I know I will get great advice 20150304_191432.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
As long as the temperature doesn't drop under 80º . Cool and wet is a bad thing .

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Thank you! I just checked the temp for the hundredth time and it is now down to 75. I just turned the CHE back on. Must be the humidity that brings the temp lower then what the air condition is set on. I am going to master this one day!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its always going to be colder at tortoise level . It's easy to think my room is at 80 . But get naked and lay on some wet substrate you'll be putting your pants back on . Haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
you may have to cover the habitat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You also don't need to brag about your temps:p some of us are still stuck in winter:p:D

Most have to cover enclosure to get temps and humidity where they need to be and stable

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Working on a cover that is made out of plywood. Just not that happy about placing a heat lamp on a plastic lid. Considering using the plastic but would have to use that special foil tape that is made for high heat. Would still be nervous. Going back and forth with how to cover. Driving me and Turbo crazy!

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
You also don't need to brag about your temps:p some of us are still stuck in winter:p:D

Most have to cover enclosure to get temps and humidity where they need to be and stable

I lived just outside Chicago for a couple of years. Seriously thought I would die it was so cold and the wind never stopped!! It takes a strong brave person to live up there. Every time I took the train into Chicago I would come home with another coat. I could not get warm!! I hope spring arrives soon for all of you that live up north!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I lived just outside Chicago for a couple of years. Seriously thought I would die it was so cold and the wind never stopped!! It takes a strong brave person to live up there. Every time I took the train into Chicago I would come home with another coat. I could not get warm!! I hope spring arrives soon for all of you that live up north!

That's nice, thank you. 50's next week WOOHOO that's big LOL. I love Chicago, don't mind the cold as much as I hate snow.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like this idea of yours for indoor enclosure. Very creative.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
Can u ship some of that sun up here appreciate it lol. Suppose to hit 40's next week and already thinking of what I need to do to get the boat ready for summer just have to wait for our three feet of ice to melt off the lake first. I also need to repair my tortoise enclosure to might do that in our heat wave we will have next week lol.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Can u ship some of that sun up here appreciate it lol. Suppose to hit 40's next week and already thinking of what I need to do to get the boat ready for summer just have to wait for our three feet of ice to melt off the lake first. I also need to repair my tortoise enclosure to might do that in our heat wave we will have next week lol.

Wow...North Dakota. I hate to tell you I work outside and it hit 90 today. I get my first sunburn of the year. I wish you could send some of that cold my way!!