Florida Gopher Tortoise

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
How cool.....

The only wildlife I will see in my neighborhood are some birds and squirrels.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You are so lucky to have what most of us can only dream about . Great looking tort . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

AMA904

Thanks! Unfortunately the tortoise had moved on by the time my wife brought my daughter outside. She would have loved to have seen it. Soon enough we will have our own though.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Thanks! Unfortunately the tortoise had moved on by the time my wife brought my daughter outside. She would have loved to have seen it. Soon enough we will have our own though.

Beautiful tortoises, but how exactly do you plan to have your own? Unless you owned one in the 70's, they are illegal to even touch, much less own. Unless your applying for research, of course, there is no way to ever own one as a pet.

AMA904

Beautiful tortoises, but how exactly do you plan to have your own? Unless you owned one in the 70's, they are illegal to even touch, much less own. Unless your applying for research, of course, there is no way to ever own one as a pet.

Hi Pete. I meant a tortoise in general, not specifically a gopher tortoise.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I never understand your English names :-D could you please say the specific name?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Except it really doesn't look like a gopherus to me. Might just be the picture, though.

AMA904

Except it really doesn't look like a gopherus to me. Might just be the picture, though.

What does it look like to you?

Is there another tortoise that is native to Florida?

Just curious as i am by no means an expert :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's a gopher tortoise, just an usually dark one . Cool find. You're lucky to have seen one. Supposedly my brother's uncle in law has some on his property in Louisiana where they are incredibly rare.

AMA904

They are pretty common here. Growing up we lived close to an area that had a whole bunch of them. I don't see them too often anymore though.

vandezon

1 hr S of Tampa Fl, Gulf of Mexico side
We had one living in the middle between our neighbor and us, had an entrance to his hole from either yard, main hole on or side. He moved on one spring just after my husband mowed the yard, he had been there the whole summer and "winter" then moved at first mowing. Another Gopher came to visit in our yard a few wks ago, just came in under the back gate (he was a low tort), left the same afternoon. When we bought our property we left the back part of it wild (trees, weeds, leaves everything as is), and we suspect there are some out there.