Flood bulb- how close is too close?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I have a Russian hatchling arriving this week, so I’m trying to get my temps figured out asap.

I have a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb (Sylvania BR30) but it’s only getting hot enough directly under the bulb (over 95°) if I have it like 7 inches away from the substrate. Is this too close?
I haven’t been able to find a higher wattage bulb.
I am using the Fluker’s 10 inch clamp lamp (clamp removed) on a Zoo Med reptile lamp stand.

Details on the enclosure:
It’s a 38 gallon storage bin (Dimensions: H 15.51 in, W 22.03 in, D 38.18 in) which I know is only suitable while he’s a tiny hatchling.
I am using aluminum foil to cover it for now, but I’d like to use something more aesthetically pleasing. 🤪 Plexiglass?
Substrate is coco coir (hand packed), but I have a few bags of Repti bark for when he’s older. The pieces just seemed so big, so that’s why I’m starting off with the coco coir.

He has a humid hide, another hide, terra cotta water dish, food dish, flat rock (paver) underneath his light, etc.

So I think I’m all set for his enclosure, I just need to figure out how to keep it warm enough, and a better way to keep it covered.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you left the bulb on long enough before you read the temp? Most use the 65w and it should be enough, specially with a flat rock under it, but not having it be so low.
Make sure you leave the bulb on at least an hour and then read it.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yes, it has been on for several hours and I’m still only getting a hot spot of 95 if I keep it 7 inches away.
I wonder if it’s a faulty bulb? I have extras- maybe I’ll swap it out and see if there’s a difference…

We keep our house around 75° fwiw, so it’s not like my house is freezing either…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, it has been on for several hours and I’m still only getting a hot spot of 95 if I keep it 7 inches away.
I wonder if it’s a faulty bulb? I have extras- maybe I’ll swap it out and see if there’s a difference…

We keep our house around 75° fwiw, so it’s not like my house is freezing either…
Weird... How are you checking the temp? Temp guns don't work well for this. Get a digital thermometer and lay it on its back directly under the bulb. Let it cook for an hour or more.

95 is okay for a basking are too, and if the temp is right, 7 inches is not too close.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I switched out the bulb, and this one seems to be working better.
Still pretty close to the substrate, but not 7 inches. Although I’m glad to hear that distance is okay if necessary.

I’m checking with a digital thermometer and temp gun.