Flipping over

wolfkat

Hi guys,

Recently Viva had been flipping herself over a lot and I cannot figure out what is causing it. She is getting a little cramped in her current enclosure so I'll be upgrading it in the near future and maybe the cramped space is causing it. When she flips over it isn't that long as I check on her constantly (maybe the longest had been 20 minutes? I came back from class) but these have been long enough to stress her enough to poop herself (tmi sorry). I am just wondering if being flipped over for short periods of time but for multiple times has any long term effects on them? In the past 3 days she's probably flipped herself 7 times...

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
In order to get help quickly, a few questions need to be answered. What are the temperatures inside the enclosure (warm side, cool side, basking spot, and night time)? What is the humidity in the enclosure? Do you soak your tortoise? A few pictures of the enclosure/set up may also be helpful.

If they flip and are under a light, I believe they can become dehydrated and too warm and can potentially die. It is stressful flipping - when flipped, the organs put pressure on the lungs. Good luck to you and yours.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is she flipping trying to climb up the sides of an aquarium or climbing up and falling over a certain item inside the enclosure?
I know that some tortoises will see the world outside of the enclosure and spend all day trying to get to it in the case of a glass enclosure. If this is the case, I would recommend you tape up some paper or something just high enough that your tortoise can't see outside of the aquarium.
If it is an item, remove the item.
Also, make sure that your lighting type and temperature aren't causing any stress.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
YIKES.. in the captive redfoot world, it seems, flipping is almost a death sentence.. I'd re-evaluate your enclosure and make sure any heat source (lamp, CHE) is nowhere near where your tort would end up flipped (same with water dish). I'd look at corners or any two items a tort could "chimney" up and flip. If you have an outdoor enclosure I'd do the same. Although IMHO the best outdoor, or any young redfoot enclosure would be round with no corners to chimney up. It seems to me that once the tort gets more rectangular/oval than circular as juveniles.. they're less able to flip. Just lessen the chances now so the little guy/gal gets there

wolfkat

I watched her today and it seems she was flipping herself trying to get around her water bowl which is a rock like bowl from petsmart. I changed that out and put an almost completely flat bowl in there (basically a plate now). She is also just walking off the edge of a ramp we have for her to get to her second level so I have taken the ramp down until I can find some more popsicle sticks to attach to make a barrier so she has to walk all the way down and not just walk off the side to flip.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
POW may all your tort problems be as easy to remedy! Plant saucers make great cheap water dishes, unless your little guy likes to burrow then they're just a vehicle to make your enclosure wet and messy :)

wolfkat

POW may all your tort problems be as easy to remedy! Plant saucers make great cheap water dishes, unless your little guy likes to burrow then they're just a vehicle to make your enclosure wet and messy :)
Oh I never thought of that! She does like to dig but since putting the second level in she does all of that under the second level so a plant saucer may actually be perfect! It'll work better than the bowl/plate in there now that she tips over every time she puts a foot on it haha. Thanks!