FISH IDENTIFICATION

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
I was wondering what species of sunfish this is. I caught it in the Georgiana Slough, which is part of the San Joaquin Delta. I was thinking it could he a redear sunfish, but it looks a little green. All the ones I've caught so far are a pretty good size, and i have seen even bigger ones in the water. Does anyone have an idea on the species?
Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407772475.275445.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407772504.216077.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
We call them Blue Gill Perch .....out here in CA. There are about 125 different species of perch/sunfish in N. America .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jeff, you crazy CA people. Blue Gill and Perch are two different species, at least where I come from.:p:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well.......technically your right Barb .....:rolleyes:
People often confuse the bluegill with the sunfish, because they don't see the differences in appearance that can be subtle in some cases. However, a bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) is actually a type of sunfish (Centrarchidae family). Sunfish are a genus of freshwater fish, and one variety within the Lepomis genus is the bluegill -- the "difference" is that all bluegills are sunfish but not all sunfish are bluegills.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/

The bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) is a member of the sunfish family. This family of fish contains many species, including bass and crappie.....
http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/bluegill/

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
I think it might be a redear sunfish because of the red surrounding its black dot.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Who cares they are delicious fry them suckers up! I'm on the way with frog legs . Yeeyee!