NEED FISHING ADVICE

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
My grandma lives on the Georgiana Slough on the San Joaquin Delta. I often like to visit there and fish. I have mostly been catching sunfish, small spotted bass, good size pikeminnow, small striped bass, crappie, and catfish. I sometimes see carp but haven't been able to catch them. I have been wanting to catch larger fish such as carp and larger stripers. I mostly fish in the shallow areas because the current isn't as strong there and my bait doesn't drift away. I know that the larger fish are probably in the deep part, but i cant keep my bait still. I mostly use worms for bait, but often use bacon and cheese.

Here is where i fish from: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301312.779320.jpg

I also have been wondering what other fish are in there. When i research it it doesn't tell me whats in the Georgiana Slough, just in the whole San Joaquin delta. Could any of you tell me whats in there?

Here are some of the fish I've caught: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301532.787711.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301549.513776.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301573.549009.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301607.531016.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301621.884118.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301640.755791.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301656.064032.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407301677.463405.jpg

Please leave a comment
Thanks!!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

its all about the action you give it to when you wanna dive slowly pull back on your pole then when you finish pulling back slowly reel in the slack and let the lure float up a little bit that's when i normally get hit that's how i caught a 5.4 pound bass

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
its all about the action you give it to when you wanna dive slowly pull back on your pole then when you finish pulling back slowly reel in the slack and let the lure float up a little bit that's when i normally get hit that's how i caught a 5.4 pound bass
Wow, im gonna try that!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Wow, im gonna try that!
just don't dive to fast or you could get hung up on something, if you try top water lurers like a repaula toss it out there reel in just a little bit to get it popping and moving then just let it sit a sec you can normally see the lurer go under if a fish grabs it but don't be surprised if jumps from under and grabs it lol

i'm all about catch and release just like the fishing hate the taste of fish lol i even salmon fish.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Carp are bottom feeders . Start putting canned corn at an area by the dock at night and fish late and early. Use corn and worms. I've caught some 30-40 pound carp in Iowa this way. All were just around docks .

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
just don't dive to fast or you could get hung up on something, if you try top water lurers like a repaula toss it out there reel in just a little bit to get it popping and moving then just let it sit a sec you can normally see the lurer go under if a fish grabs it but don't be surprised if jumps from under and grabs it lol

i'm all about catch and release just like the fishing hate the taste of fish lol i even salmon fish.
Ive used a topwater lure, and i caught a spotted bass! When i saw the bass in the water, i casted near it and within seconds it went under! Im also a catch a release person. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407352280.973295.jpg

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Ive used a topwater lure, and i caught a spotted bass! When i saw the bass in the water, i casted near it and within seconds it went under! Im also a catch a release person. View attachment 90639
yea bass aren't shy about hitting to much unless they're really big i've seen huge bass sit right in front of me while i drop EVERYTHING i have down they're trying to get em to show interest, it's true what they say they didn't get big by being stupid

the only fish i don't release are catfish lol fried up theyre good, sadly we don't have very big ones around here they're looked at as invasive and killed off but i was raised in the south with HUGE catfish lol

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
yea bass aren't shy about hitting to much unless they're really big i've seen huge bass sit right in front of me while i drop EVERYTHING i have down they're trying to get em to show interest, it's true what they say they didn't get big by being stupid
That makes sense. Once i thought a big bass was going for my lure but it was actually a huge sunfish! It was HUGE

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol

the only fish i don't release are catfish lol fried up theyre good, sadly we don't have very big ones around here they're looked at as invasive and killed off but i was raised in the south with HUGE catfish lol
Ive been trying to catch a big catfish!! The biggest one i caught was this one ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407353039.153665.jpg any advice in how to get bigger ones?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Thats what I've been doing. Ive been fishing right below the dock. Do you think i should throw it out farther?

depends how deep is below the dock? most of the time catfish are deep and in holes and den's underwater it's all about finding that hole

it's possible to bring them to you tho if it's late at night and it's really quiet on the water take a wooden spoon and smack the top of the water catfish are drawn to sound and if you can something down there putting out a smell that would help to

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
depends how deep is below the dock? most of the time catfish are deep and in holes and den's underwater it's all about finding that hole

it's possible to bring them to you tho if it's late at night and it's really quiet on the water take a wooden spoon and smack the top of the water catfish are drawn to sound and if you can something down there putting out a smell that would help to
Its about 6 or more feet below the dock. I usually chum and get some bites but they are all small cats. I will try the spoon method next time.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Its about 6 or more feet below the dock. I usually chum and get some bites but they are all small cats. I will try the spoon method next time.

you'll need to go deeper cast way out you can also try to use a bait fish such as a minnow or other fish