first (week) time owner rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachael

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
.... wait.. so now all these problems are mine AND I have to furnish the whole damn place?@#!?@#?!@?#!@?#

Hub and I are in the process of whats turning into a two week move into our first home. Unreal exited but let me tell you:

Section 1 termite on the deck required the house be tented.. 6 days later we walk in for what was supposed to be our first night in the house and were welcomed with the pungent smell of death. I guess 3 woodland critters got caught in tenting process and died somewhere under our house. Great. Not great.

Day two, a few screws that were poorly tightened caused the kitchen sink to come apart.. magically? we dont know. But we were out shopping for home goods and came back to a flooded kitchen.

home deliveries being missed, I swear they didnt even knock. Gas company connecting the wrong things.. the "queen" mattress we had for the guest room.. turned out to be a full AFTER we bought the queen frame.. man...

sorry for the vent but I think tortoise forum is the most normal thing Ive experienced all week.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I'm sorry, all that is really tough stuff to deal with! I hope it gets better for you and that there aren't anymore surprises!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's always a rude awakening for first time home owners. Wait until you get hit with your first property tax bill!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your move in problems. That sure isn't what you should have to put up with in your new home. Hopefully, things will go better from here on and you can enjoy your new home:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It will all be worth it in the end, as you sit in your yard sipping lemonade, watching your Torts enjoying the sun. Congrats on your new home!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh boy. We could compare lists. :)

Isn't homeownership great? You have heard about the property tax bill that Yvonne mentioned, haven't you?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
When it rains it pours...and we think when will this bad luck end. It just makes us stronger...congratulations on your new home...things will get better...I promise.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
emysemys said:
It's always a rude awakening for first time home owners. Wait until you get hit with your first property tax bill!

In CT your first year of property taxes is due in full when you close on your new house. I will be paying that on 4/30 along with the first year of ins., the list goes on, but it is totally worth it & Congrats it is exciting too!!

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
emysemys said:

wait.. WHAT

terryo said:
It will all be worth it in the end, as you sit in your yard sipping lemonade, watching your Torts enjoying the sun. Congrats on your new home!
THANK YOU. Counthing the days :)

Tom said:
Oh boy. We could compare lists. :)

Isn't homeownership great? You have heard about the property tax bill that Yvonne mentioned, haven't you?

Man oh man, I hope this is the end of it. Furniture assembly starts tonight.. so Im sure it'll be jusssttttt a ball.
Im going to pretend I didnt see EITHER OF YOU gently reminding me about the taxes.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And don't forget to drain your water heater once a year and always keep fresh batteries in your smoke alarms.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Btw, didn't you have homeowners warranty when you purchased the house? The sink and plumbing should have been covered. Didn't they do an inspection before you bought the house? I know home inspections are a joke, but all they had to do is run the water and check the pipes, and the sink would have fallen on the Inspector 's head. At the very least, your house insurance should cover some of the expenses. Don't forget to buy flood insurance.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
sibi said:
Btw, didn't you have homeowners warranty when you purchased the house? The sink and plumbing should have been covered. Didn't they do an inspection before you bought the house? I know home inspections are a joke, but all they had to do is run the water and check the pipes, and the sink would have fallen on the Inspector 's head. At the very least, your house insurance should cover some of the expenses. Don't forget to buy flood insurance.

luckily yes Everything is covered. BUT the repair people seem to always have "uh yeah we can get there. Our next opening is in a week" mentality. I dunno. Chipping away at my laundry list. :]

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Oh, I know. Buying your first house is always the hardest I am told, mine wasn't exactly smooth, but it wasn't too bad either, I learned alot. You might get a letter in the mail from your city or state asking you questions about your home purchase (I know my city and state did that, but not all do), do not fill it out or return it. One question will be how much you paid for the home. If you answer that the city and/or state will use that value for tax purposes. In my case it would have quadrupaled my taxes. My sister did fill it out and return it and her taxes went up by five times the original amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.