First Tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Happy Birthday first. Most torts will be shy for a few days. Some will come out running. Either way is normal.
Hello and Wecome too

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Is it really your birthday or did you make a mistake on filling out the personal stuff?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

And of course........HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Torts take time to adapt to new environments, so do not worry. How about posting pictures of your tort and his/her enclosure? This would enable us to help you more easily. In the meantime, you could read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread as well as different care sheets, and please do not hesitate to ask ANY question when in doubt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species did you get and how are you housing it?

What type of heating and lighting?

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

Any UV lighting? What type?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He keeps doing this. His habitat is pretty big
How big is "pretty big" and how long is your tort?

Putting a sight barrier round the glass, light paper, helps to stop them seeing the wider world and reduce the climbing of the sides. However, my gut feeling is that your tank is too small for that tortoise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I agree with JoesMum: when a tort is placed in an enclosure he/she can see through, this will only make him/her keep trying to get out, and consequently you'll have a tort who is under stress.

Please post a pic of the enclosure.

Eileen Turpin

image.jpeg
How big is "pretty big" and how long is your tort?

Putting a sight barrier round the glass, light paper, helps to stop them seeing the wider world and reduce the climbing of the sides. However, my gut feeling is that your tank is too small for that tortoise.
I will measure he fits in Palm, the tank is 36" I just moved I will find my tape. The tank is 36" and he 4 1/2"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, while that looks big to you, it's not all that big for a tortoise. Tortoises are hard-wired to wander over great distances in search of food. Until you are able to set him up outside in a safe and secure habitat, he's going to continue to try to get out of there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree the tank is far too small.

That pet store water bowl is a flipping hazard and should be replaced with a terracotta plant saucer. They're suitable for reptiles, but not including tortoises.

Please read our Beginner Mistakes thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

We also have detailed care guides for each species. they're written by experts who work hard to correct the misinformation provided by most pet stores and, sadly, some breeders and vets too.

Eileen Turpin

His house and really
Actually, while that looks big to you, it's not all that big for a tortoise. Tortoises are hard-wired to wander over great distances in search of food. Until you are able to set him up outside in a safe and secure habitat, he's going to continue to try to get out of there.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yvonne, JoesMum, you know better than I do, that I am sure of. But at the same time, it seems to me that the pic of the tank is not complete. Know what I mean?

Eileen Turpin

I just put construction paper up all around he's calms down I live in south in condo with a huge screened in porch, with supervision would that that be safe?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I just put construction paper up all around he's calms down I live in south in condo with a huge screened in porch, with supervision would that that be safe?
He will need substrate not bare boards. I don't know what temperatures are like in your porch, but are they steady enough year round? The screen will filter UVB so you will still need lamps