First time tortoise owner

mlummus

Hey guys I recently just bought my first Russian tortoise. I went to petsmart only to check out prices and what it would be to get started but they recently had someone return a tank and all the tank/tortoise accessories so I was able to get everything for a discount. So of course I went ahead and got my lady tortoise Frankie. Some questions I have are about cleaning and eating. As far as bathing Frankie, how often and what is the process of cleaning her? And food...I've got a pretty good idea of what kinds of food to feed her but I'm not sure of how much to give her. If there's any other advice or tips that you can think of that would be helpful for me I would be much appreciative. Definitely need all the help I can't get!

mlummus

Thanks guys! I'll do some research!
And for the tank- the tank I bought is small, no doubt. But it came with all kinds of lights, bowls, etc. my aunt has a bigger tank that I will be getting from her soon.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Pictures! Pictures! Depending on what part of the country you live in, outside time for Russians is best for soaking up UV rays... then you don't need to worry about bulbs. As long as you can offer a safe enclosure with shady areas, sunny areas, dry areas, damp areas, and a water dish, she'll be able to make herself comfortable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Tanks" are usually way too small for Russian tortoises. You want a lot of floor space, and tanks are measured in volume, up the sides.

mlummus

I live in central Louisiana so it is very hot from now until end of September. For now the tank will have to remain until I can build/find a better enclosure. If I kept her outside all the time would that be a problem? And what would I do for when it gets colder?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432168799.563663.jpg

right now this is the set up

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Unfortunately, everything you got, except the tortoise :), was not the right set up. Don't feel bad, I think most of us have received very bad information from a pet store as a beginner. You should be able to keep your tortoise outside for a good part of the year as long as you provide shade. Read the care sheets provided above and then come back with any questions you have. Welcome to the forum. Also if you take a picture of the underside of your tortoise we can tell you if it's a boy or a girl.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians rule ! I've been raising Russians for over 10 years in AZ , and we get over 110 degrees in the summer and my Russians do great in the heat 25 percent of my enclosure is covered and I have a sage bush in the enclosure and they get fresh water every day . And if they get hot they dig in Bramante you just got to feed them what they can eat so they can store up the energy to Bramante in the summer and in the winter but it only works when the torts are out side and the keeper knows the torts . Good luck and get that tort outside ..

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Look here for outdoor enclosure ideas. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-outdoor-enclosures.65797/ If it were me, I would keep her outdoors 24/7 and when it gets cold let her hibernate on her own as long as you have a suitable enclosure. I think there are many people on this forum who would disagree though. It seems like a vocal majority prefer indoor habitats and keeping their tortoises awake all year. I have an Ibera Greek tortoise who has hibernated naturally in my backyard for the last 2 years, and hibernated at his prior home before that (both in Albuquerque, NM). Find out what others in your geographic area do, though. Is there a local turtle club? You and I live in very different climates so what works here might not work in Louisiana.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think it is a little unfair to say that a majority of people here on the forum with Russian tortoises prefer indoor enclosures and not hibernating them. Climate is a big decider in how people keep their tortoises. Realize that in the wild Russian tortoises may sleep up to nine months out of the year. Some during the cold season and some during the hot season. With the right set up you can allow this to happen, but if done wrong your tortoise will die. I'm not saying this to scare you, but it's not just as easy as letting them do everything on their own and they'll be fine. I agree with the above in that you should find other Russian tortoise keepers in your area and see what they do to successfully keep their tortoises.
I'm sure there are many people on this forum from your area. This is the best site you will find for the correct updated information on tortoise care. Take it one step at a time and your tortoise will do great.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't think you have to worry about the hibernation issue for now. It is recommended not to hibernate your tortoise the first year you have them anyway. So focus on the other things for now.

mlummus

Okay it's a lot of information all at once! Definitely looking into what I can do to upgrade his home (we thought it was a girl but after being on the forum and reading some discussion boards were pretty sure it's a boy). A few things might work so please give some feedback on what might be best.
Option A: I have a sunroom/day room in my house that gets ALOT of sun and stays pretty hot during the summer time (haven't lived there long enough to know what it's like in the winter) I could put Frankie in there and either get a bigger tank or do some kind of turtle table.
Option B: I have a covered balcony off of my room that could work. The problem with that is there might be too much shade and there is a possibility that Frankie might escape his habitat and fall off the balcony. But that could probably be an easy solution?
Option C: I'm able to get ahold of a bigger tank, not sure of the exact measurements, but it's for sure double the size, if not bigger, than what I have now. I could use that and get better lamps and accessories and whatever else I needed.

So that's what I'm looking at for housing options. Any thoughts?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would not do the aquarium, no aquarium is big enough for a Russian tortoise. At least not an adult one. The balcony could be made to work possibly. Pictures could help. But if it doesn't get shade for at least part of the day it probably won't stay warm enough. You could put a large enclosure in the sunroom. UVB rays do not pass through glass so you would still need to provide a UVB source if your tortoise doesn't get outside.
The best option would be to build an outdoor pen, a large rectangle one would work. I'm talking 4 x 8 at the minimum. Bigger is always better. And indoor one should be 4 x 8 also if your tortoise is going to spend a good deal of time in there. Check out the Russian tortoise section for ideas on enclosures as well as the outdoor enclosure section.
For now, for an indoor enclosure you can get a large plastic tote such as a 54 gallon one from Home Depot and set it up. You can make a tortoise table out of a bookcase with the shelves removed and the bookcase laying on its back and lined with a shower curtain. A large plastic kiddie pool can also work.
I would get a mercury vapor bulb for UVB. Do not get the coil type of bulbs they may cause I damage. The temperature gun is very handy to be able to tell the exact temperature anywhere in the enclosure.

mlummus

Okay I will start on getting a bigger habitat! I don't have a picture of the balcony and I'm actually staying with family for the summer. But I will be making a temporary/moveable outdoor enclosure for Frankie. Thanks so much for the help!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That will work. You can make one as easy as 2 x 12's nailed together. Russians dig and climb so keep that in mind. I suggest bringing him in at night if it's going to be a temporary enclosure.

mlummus

Another question I have is about feeding. After reading through the forums I know what is good to feed him, but I have yet to find any kind of answer of how much to give at a time. What is an appropriate serving size, How often do I give him food, etc...
I'm a numbers person so something like "a cup of food a day" or something like that would be great!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If there is a lot of food left over, it's too much food. If it disappears very rapidly, it's not enough. You can offer a second feeding. They would typically graze. It's not an exact science.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I feed mine a pile about the same size as them in the morning. In the afternoon, if it is mostly gone, I feed again, smaller amount, after soaking. Adjust so they almost eat all that you give. As long as you are feeding a good, varied diet, they will not get fat or overeat. In the wild they graze all day long.