First Time Tortoise Owner!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I think she's trying to dig her way out.
I've heard Russians are very energetic, always digging, climbing and patrolling their territories.
The care sheet here recommends 4' by 8' minimum, but as big as possible, really.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Did you say something about going to get a bigger tank when the weather clears? Is the 40 gallon tank the bigger one? When you move are you moving to a place where she can be outside most of the time? If so then you can make a temporary larger enclosure until you do move. The idea is to get more floor space, not necessarily heigth although that would probably help with your dogs. You will have to put a cover on it probably. Home Depot has 54 gallon totes that work well temporarily. You can use A plastic kiddie pool, a bookcase laid on its back with the shelves taken out in line with the shower curtain. Glass aquariums actually do hold and humidity quite well but you're not going to find one big enough to house a full-grown Russian. The enclosure is very barren, one of the reasons your tortoise is digging so much is because she feels very exposed. Russians also just love to dig, especially in the corners. They will do less of it in a bigger enclosure. You could put a couple plants in there just to make your tortoise feel more secure and add interest for her. Definitely keep soaking her every other day. And keep changing up the food so she gets a wide variety.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Hello and welcome! I am new as well and have learned a bunch from the folks here. Their advice has made a huge difference in the health and well being of my 3 russians.

About the enclosure issue, I bought a book case from a local store for 27 bucks and spent another 10 bucks for some 2x4's to lift it up about four feet. I then took the shelves that came with it and cut them down to make two lids for it. I used some chicken wire to cover the lids and put locking latches on them (mostly to keep my kids away). I'm not sure how handy you are but it was a relatively easy build. I have a bunch of spider plants that I rotate through their enclosure. They like to hide under them as well as eat them. Below are some pics of my enclosure before I got the linear UVB bulb (I start with the coil type cfl too).

One thing on the food. I found that my tortoises did not like the grass land tortoise food at all by itself, but when I softened it in water, then chopped up their leafy greens and mixed it all together. This way they got some of the extra vitamins from the store bought food. Again I wish you and your tort the best of luck!

imag0079.jpg imag0081.jpg

WallieWay

PA
I'd definitely going to go hunt down some bookcases at the local goodwill store! This 40 gal was the larger tank...The pet store I bought it from said this is a good starter size for the time being. Originally I had her in a 20 gallon long tank to keep her in while I was away, then had her set up on my floor while I was home so she had all the space she needed. I still let her out while I'm home even with this new tank.

Also, what are spider plants? I have moss in there (the store told me it helps with humidity?) that she climbs and hides in, but I want to do whatever i can to make her comfortable.

As of right now, I have nowhere to build her an outdoor home since I live in a condo. The new house will definitely have space, but I need to completely "dog proof" it to ensure my dogs have no access to the area and especially her. In the winter she will have to live inside.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The store is the last place you should go for advice. They sell stuff. They don't see the results of long term care.

Your floor is not safe for your tortoise. The temps and humidity aren't right, the surface can damage feet & legs over time, it is full of hazards... We hate those posts from people who accidentally squashed a tortoise's head in the door, or lost it, or had it chew wires or eat something dangerous. It can happen to anyone, no matter how careful. It hasn't happened yet is never a guarantee that it won't.

axeman25

Central Michigan
I'd definitely going to go hunt down some bookcases at the local goodwill store! This 40 gal was the larger tank...The pet store I bought it from said this is a good starter size for the time being. Originally I had her in a 20 gallon long tank to keep her in while I was away, then had her set up on my floor while I was home so she had all the space she needed. I still let her out while I'm home even with this new tank.

Also, what are spider plants? I have moss in there (the store told me it helps with humidity?) that she climbs and hides in, but I want to do whatever i can to make her comfortable.

As of right now, I have nowhere to build her an outdoor home since I live in a condo. The new house will definitely have space, but I need to completely "dog proof" it to ensure my dogs have no access to the area and especially her. In the winter she will have to live inside.

Spider plants are safe plants for the tortoises to eat plus they can feel "safe" hiding in them. I included a picture below. It only shows two but I now have 6 or 7 in there now and keep another 6 or 7 to rotate out when the chew the ones in there down a bit. There is a whole list of safe plants on here if you search the threads. Just make sure they're are planted in clean dirt with no additives or fertilizers.

The floor is not a good place at all for your buddy. Again, there are many threads on here about people who have accidentally hurt or killed their tortoise. They are awful stories to read. They are great at climbing and digging. I've found this out the hard way. I've had to change out certain logs because may male, Pavel, has no brain and continued to climb and fall on his back or pin himself in between the wall and the log.......after pushing the log away from the wall. Did I mention they are strong little buggers too?

Lastly, I am only about 4 months into Russian ownership myself. The people here REALLY care about tortoises........probably more so than humans. Sometimes some can come across a little harsh. Believe me, they have your guys interest at heart. Don't take it personal.

imag0126.jpg

J.Gatz

Hawaii
Hi! Just wanted to say I appreciate you sharing your experiences as a new tortoise owner! I brought my little guy home on Thursday and have been experiencing much of the same stuff as you - he's barely eating, constantly burrowing in corners or under plants. I'm relieved things are getting better for you, gives me hope! Good luck and thanks again for sharing!