First time egg layer

Bducks16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
forest grove, oregon
IMG_3348.jpg

This is her first clutch of eggs she has laid. She started yesterday pacing her pen I had a feeling she was looking for a good spot to nest. 11 o’clock this morning she picked a spot and 4 hours later eggs were laid and hole filled back in. She didn’t dig deep maybe 8 inches. With out trying to disturb her too much I only counted 5 eggs. She’s now having a soak. I don’t plan to hatch her eggs maybe a clutch or two in the future. Can I leave the eggs in the ground until fall if I do decide to incubate them later? Also being her first clutch is it highly possible none of the eggs are fertilized?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
  • Small clutch size is normal for first time moms.
  • Fertility can be high or low in first clutches. I've seen both for sulcatas.
  • Eggs are fine to stay in the ground for months.
  • If you have hot summer weather for 3 months, these eggs will incubate and hatch in the ground. I know they will here, but I don't know about your area.
  • I like to add extra calcium to the female's diet once they start laying eggs.
  • Expect 2 or 3 more clutches this year.
  • Might be some useful info here for you: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
I’m near Portland Oregon, I don’t think it’s possible to hatch naturally here. Thanks for the link. A few months between clutches you figure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m near Portland Oregon, I don’t think it’s possible to hatch naturally here. Thanks for the link. A few months between clutches you figure?
Usually about 5-6 weeks in between clutches for sulcatas.