First time at vet!

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
Pancake got a super clean bill of health at the vet today. I wanted to take her in to make sure I was doing everything right and he said she was one of the healthiest babies he has seen and that I was doing everything right! When I got her 6 months ago, she was 32 grams. Now she is 162 grams. She charmed the whole office.

1923669_10206967787005701_429364945774777451_n.jpg

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
He checked her eyes and examined all of her shell. Really looked over every part of her. Watched her disposition. Checked her weight, etc.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Will any vet take a tortoise
No. Many vets don't know anything about tortoises. Any vet can do fecal test for parasites though. Whether they know what to do with the results depends on the vet. I would call around to make sure you find a vet that knows tortoises. There is only one vet in my town that sees "exotic" animals.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
I went to Dr Greek who I found through the list on this forum. Right in my neighborhood and super friendly! Answered all my newbie owner questions and concerns.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went to Dr Greek who I found through the list on this forum. Right in my neighborhood and super friendly! Answered all my newbie owner questions and concerns.

Are you raising this tortoise with the warm humid methods and frequent soaks we recommend here? If yes, what did Dr. Greek have to say about that?

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Yes. I told him that I had heard here that keeping the humidity high helped prevent pyramiding. Dr Greek agreed and said that it is the latest finding and has positive results. With the soakings, he said once a day was good, but not to stress missing a day and that it is mainly to make sure they are hydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. I told him that I had heard here that keeping the humidity high helped prevent pyramiding. Dr Greek agreed and said that it is the latest finding and has positive results. With the soakings, he said once a day was good, but not to stress missing a day and that it is mainly to make sure they are hydrated.

I know many people that use him and they unanimously say he is fantastic. Been that way for many years.

Since most vets say the opposite, and don't have any idea about all this, I am very curious where he learned this new info. I think I'll need to call him and ask.

He's in Yorba Linda now, right? Or was that before he moved? I can't remember...