FIRST TANK SETUP

AODYLLON

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey guys I am new to the forums just wanna say hi ...... I have learned a lot from everybody thank you for the educational posts ..... My current setup for these 3 month old torts(sulcata) I currently have 2 and they are in a 50 gallon tank

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to tell you but you have almost everything wrong in your setup:(. 1. the substrate needs to go these baby sulcatas need a humid, warm, moist enclosure. a bone dry environment is not natural for them,they should have a enclosure humidity level of 80%. 2. two tortoises should not be kept together, even at such a small age there will be dominance and this will cause terrible stress for your torts. 3. red light is not natural for any tortoise species and can damage tortoises eyes.
All this information must be very overwhelming but please take my advice. over time from being kept dry they could have developed hatchling failure syndrome this is when a tort is kept dry and there kidneys stop working properly from dehydration.
please read this care sheet. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Don't feel badly, AODYLLON,.Most of us got it wrong the first time around. You'll get it fixed with help from these folks and then you have many years of trouble free fun to look forward to. Yes. In the meantime, don't buy a third. Research "closed chamber" setups. It would be easy to convert your tank into one and consult a sulcata experts about what lights to use so you wont spend good money on bad lighting. Those red lights are just good for keeping french fries warm.;)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. Southern Cal is a great place to keep sulcata.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hey! A fellow Southern Californian! Where are you? There are several on the Forum...and you'll find this a nice home away from home! Sadly, you're probably doing what you saw in the shop or from the breeder you acquired him from! Most importantly, soak that little guy everyday...at least 20 minutes...I do an hour!

Check out these two links! They'll help you tremendously! Good luck and keep us posted!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

As has been said above, change your substrate to something you can moisten. I like the small grade orchid bark, but most on here use coco coir. You can buy it in a compressed brick at most pet stores.

It looks like you're using a red light for heat. Your babies need, in fact MUST HAVE, UVB. So you should change out your red light for a good UVB light. I prefer the Mercury Vapor Bulbs because they give off UVB along with heat. Then for night time, you can still use the red bulb, but to me, the incandescent black bulbs are more like moonlight and give off heat but not as much light as the red bulb. Tortoises see a different spectrum of light than we do, and the red bulb has caused some tortoises to see their substrate as something to eat. So it's really not a good idea to use a red bulb during the day when the tortoise is awake.

Be sure to read the pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section. We have new, cutting edge info on raising baby sulcatas. You need to forget everything you thought you knew, and start over with a fresh and open mind.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. So glad you're here so early in your tortoises life. I didn't find this until mine was about 5 years old and the poor guy is quite pyramided. Humidity and warmth is so important when they are little.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Welcome. These guys have given you great info. Luckily, you sought help while your babies are young. By following experienced advice, your babies will grow up smooth and healthy. Search threads by Tom . He has many great care sheets on how to properly raise young sulcatas