First mini harvest!

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
First mini harvest of broadleaf weeds I grew! They are loving it. I am trying to grow enough plants so that they will only be eating this and their mazuri. Almost there! Thanks everyone for the help, I am sure my little torts appreciate it! By the way, does anyone else who grows food for their torts know if I should wash it. The first time I tried to feed them, I washed my weeds and they turned into a wet dark green mush. This time I just picked them and fed. 73237432-9D92-4BEC-84F9-8F6935251D5C.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If I’m harvesting mine from a field, I rinse and dry them in my salad spinner. Or sometimes I just shake the heck out of them outside and let them dry out on some kitchen towels for a bit.

Store them with a paper towel in a loosely closed plastic bag. If you poke some holes in it the leaves will be able to “breathe” and stay dry.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Nice! I never wash my weeds, just pick them and put them on the food dish. Also, you got some nice looking russians! Good, even growth lines appearing. ?

jeneliza

burton michigan
If you're growing them, and not using an thing on them, then no need to, other than maybe a bug or bird turd, nothing should be on them to worry about

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Nice! I never wash my weeds, just pick them and put them on the food dish. Also, you got some nice looking russians! Good, even growth lines appearing. ?
Yea they growing like crazy. In the past couple weeks there has been sooo much more white growth between the scutes on their carapace and a little red line in the middle of their growth ring. The tort to the left has some pyramiding and I have been taking pictures of his growth to monitor it and the gaps between the scutes have been filling up with brand new keratin. I have been seriously trying to up the humidity by daily or sometimes every other day soaks and I spray them and their cage down with warm water or room temperature water if their shell feels warm, many times a day. I also live in Florida so there is a ton of humidity and they have an outdoor enclosure coming soon!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Yea they growing like crazy. In the past couple weeks there has been sooo much more white growth between the scutes on their carapace and a little red line in the middle of their growth ring. The tort to the left has some pyramiding and I have been taking pictures of his growth to monitor it and the gaps between the scutes have been filling up with brand new keratin. I have been seriously trying to up the humidity by daily or sometimes every other day soaks and I spray them and their cage down with warm water or room temperature water if their shell feels warm, many times a day. I also live in Florida so there is a ton of humidity and they have an outdoor enclosure coming soon!
Yeah, it's nice to see evenly growing russians because so many seem to have stuck scutes and then grow all weird. I don't think you need to worry about the humidity, adults/semi adults don't really need it as much and yours look like they're growing perfectly. I see what you mean about the pyramiding, but that isn't really pyramiding and I think the shell is going to grow naturally like that no matter what. It doesn't look bad, either. Also, once your outdoor enclosure is complete, I would love to see pictures!!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Also, if you ever need help with identifying weeds, I can help you because I have fed tons of different weeds and we both live in fl, so we see many of the same weeds.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Also, if you ever need help with identifying weeds, I can help you because I have fed tons of different weeds and we both live in fl, so we see many of the same weeds.
Thanks! I think they are both "pretty" young, both are either females or very young males. The one to the left is almost definitely a girl. She has just a fat short nuben for a tail and she always has it down. The other has a longer tail and has it to the side a lot but if you flip he/she over the tail does not go past the gap between the anal scutes. I also think it is partly because of her personality too. She is a much more timid little tort and when she is relaxed either soaking or sitting on my lap, she has it down. I have noticed that she has it down by default but brings it up when some of the substrate touches and irritates it. Very gross but both have the star-shaped bottom not slit. Both are 4 inches. I am guessing maybe 5 or older. Unfortunately, I did not know much about torts when I got them and so I called my local Petco and bought them from there but I think I got lucky and I am glad I got them. I just hate the whole imported thing. I talked to the guy and he told me they were both captive-bred which may be true because they are females which is hard to come by and one has pyramiding which does not happen in the wild, but most likely not. They did not come with worms or any parasites and overall seemed pretty healthy. I am trying to give them the best life.