Daisies?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I couldn't remember if red foots like daisies flowers or if they are poisonous.....
They seem like they don't eat them at all.
I will start trying to harvest them for tortoise salads if other red footed torts like those at all. It's almost time for me to order some new vitamins.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Regular dandelions are a great source of nutrition and plus....look what AB thinks of them...ever seen a tortoise smile???100_7323.JPG
100_7320.JPG

EricW

Houston, TX
Daisy is broad common name that spans several species of plants and also vary by location. Some plants may be called daisy in the east, but not in the west. Etc. Best to look up and go by scientific name.

EricW

Houston, TX
Well id's hard to identify then. Is the Shasta Daisie a native species in Oregon.
The typical "Shasta' Daisy in the landscape trade is not a native to the U.S. (Leucanthemum spp.). So if this a wild growing, native plant is is going to be something else. It could be Aster ssp. or Fleabane (Erigeron). Both aster and fleabane have a tendency to be called daisy as well, I don't believe you want to feed fleabane. Both aster and fleabane have species native to Oregon and introduced to Oregon (naturalized).

Do you have a picture of the plant? I would see if you can reach out to a native plant society or the like to get a proper identification.