First Hermanns

stucarre

I live in Guernsey in the Channel Islands and after extensive research I finally got my first Hermanns tortoise

I got it from a local reptile store but didn't really receive any information about it, it is 3.5" at the moment, would anyone tell me a rough age and possible sub species? It's bright and carries what I believe to be western traits but I'm still unsure.

He/she is absolutely beautiful though!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471089895.997438.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471089919.982349.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471089938.397889.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471089976.666251.jpg

georgeandbessy

I live in Guernsey in the Channel Islands and after extensive research I finally got my first Hermanns tortoise

I got it from a local reptile store but didn't really receive any information about it, it is 3.5" at the moment, would anyone tell me a rough age and possible sub species? It's bright and carries what I believe to be western traits but I'm still unsure.

View attachment 183437View attachment 183438View attachment 183439View attachment 183440
Hello from Lancashire, U.K. He/ she is SOOO beautiful and small. :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

@HermanniChris is the man you need for Hermann's sub-species. Hopefully he'll be around soon.

I recommend you start by reading the TFO Beginner Mistakes information (perhaps before reading the information specific to Hermann's)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

As for care, Chris has a written a fantastic care sheet for this species with the most up to date information and advice - it will far surpass anything the pet store told you :D
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I should add that unless you know the hatch date, you can't tell the age of a tortoise.

The hatch date should be on the paperwork that you're given when you buy a tort in the UK. You did get papers? It's a legal requirement - torts cannot be sold without them, only given away.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

View attachment 183437View attachment 183438View attachment 183439View attachment 183440
A beautiful little tort! :) GOD bless.

Please give your cutie a daily soak in warm water.

And a very warm welcome to the forum to both of you. :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello and welcome :)

@HermanniChris is the man you need for Hermann's sub-species. Hopefully he'll be around soon.

I recommend you start by reading the TFO Beginner Mistakes information (perhaps before reading the information specific to Hermann's)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

As for care, Chris has a written a fantastic care sheet for this species with the most up to date information and advice - it will far surpass anything the pet store told you :D
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Doesn't this cutie look like a male, or is it too early to tell?

stucarre

Thank you everyone, I didn't want to just get one without knowing what I needed to, so I did lots of research to make sure I'm doing the right things. I am still learning though so appreciate the advise!

Unfortunately in Guernsey, it's different to the UK. Only dogs actually have any sort of registration! I know it's crazy, but that's how it is over here! So I have no hatch date

Nice to meet everyone