First C. angulata Hatching

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Tonight marks a big first for me.

A baby Bowsprit or Angulate tortoise (Chersina angulata) hatched here. I haven't been working with this species too long but we've gone through several attempts to get the eggs to develop or hatch and finally, it's happened. Thanks to friends at the Turtle Conservancy for helping me figure this one out. I didn't want to disturb the little one much so here's a decent pic of it just about all the way out. Enjoy and share.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473036302.024594.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
WOW! ! ! ! !

What a cutie......Congrats! ! ! ! What a break through! ! ! !

Congrats ! ! ! ! !!

18222125_1454933855383_mthumb.jpg

surfergirl

This has got to be a huge payoff for all your hard work to date! Congrats and I hope you can get these torts producing well so they have a much better future!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't know you had this species. It's one of the species I'd like to work with.

Congrats on the baby! Hope to see many more!

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Nuclear!!! Just when you think Leone can't take it to the next level, he goes and hatches out a bowsprit. Envious. I'm assuming you're gonna keep this one. Please put me on a waiting list for the first one available when you do decide to sell hatchlings. I'll pay top $$$$$$. Like top $$$$$$!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Tonight marks a big first for me.

A baby Bowsprit or Angulate tortoise (Chersina angulata) hatched here. I haven't been working with this species too long but we've gone through several attempts to get the eggs to develop or hatch and finally, it's happened. Thanks to friends at the Turtle Conservancy for helping me figure this one out. I didn't want to disturb the little one much so here's a decent pic of it just about all the way out. Enjoy and share.
View attachment 185830
Adorable!

Thanks for sharing.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone. They're truly a fascinating species to work with (but then again aren't they all?). Last year egg laying started in September and just like they report for wild angulata, up to 5 individual eggs were laid between then and April so hopefully it begins again shortly.

We will be keeping the baby, it's a bit weak so we will monitor it closely. Right now I'm just happy to have gotten one to hatch, the rest is icing on the cake.

This is mom, she's the oldest female in the group:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473076117.493892.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks everyone. They're truly a fascinating species to work with (but then again aren't they all?). Last year egg laying started in September and just like they report for wild angulata, up to 5 individual eggs were laid between then and April so hopefully it begins again shortly.

We will be keeping the baby, it's a bit weak so we will monitor it closely. Right now I'm just happy to have gotten one to hatch, the rest is icing on the cake.

This is mom, she's the oldest female in the group:View attachment 185854
A beauty!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Absolutely gorgeous, both mum and baby.
How many eggs in a clutch for this species ?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
@Tidgy's Dad They only lay one egg in a clutch but can lay from 6 to 7 clutches in a year. From what I have researched they like to lay an egg after it rains, when the soil is nice and soft. For me what makes them so special is that the egg can incubate for going on 200 days. So it is extra special when they hatch because it has taken so long for them to incubate. I live in Cape Town, and have visited a farm where i have seen tiny little shells laying on the ground completely empty due to being a preditors food, the farmer advised that they see a few of those around during the year. Which is so sad considering that it took so long for the little one to hatch in the first place. I know that is the way of nature in the wild, it is still a sad thing to see.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
@Tidgy's Dad They only lay one egg in a clutch but can lay from 6 to 7 clutches in a year. From what I have researched they like to lay an egg after it rains, when the soil is nice and soft. For me what makes them so special is that the egg can incubate for going on 200 days. So it is extra special when they hatch because it has taken so long for them to incubate. I live in Cape Town, and have visited a farm where i have seen tiny little shells laying on the ground completely empty due to being a preditors food, the farmer advised that they see a few of those around during the year. Which is so sad considering that it took so long for the little one to hatch in the first place. I know that is the way of nature in the wild, it is still a sad thing to see.
Thank you very much for your response. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How is your baby doing @HermanniChris. @Tidgy's Dad I have to laugh at my post above to you now. You most probably knew all that already. Hee hee. Thanks for responding anyway.:)
I do now.
No, none of us know it all, we are all still learning about all the different species, so much variety in the tortoise world. :):<3::tort:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
@CarolM unfortunately the hatching perished almost immediately for unknown reasons. Since then, we have not been able to successfully hatch any. The eggs are fertile and incubate for several weeks and then perish inside the egg at between 70 and 95 days. We've tried several different incubation methods, temperatures and humidity levels as well as different incubators but the eggs don't make it full term to hatch. The adult group thrives beautifully, breeds often and egg laying is often as well. Just cannot get one to hatch.