First attempt at building!

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Cyprus
I've never build anything before in my life but I'm going to have a go at this today! Off to the DIY store now. Should be interesting since they speak Turkish and I speak English haha! Wish me luck! xImageUploadedByTortForum1391161450.363702.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
North Cyprus
They're Greek tortoises. I've got coconut fiber and sphagnum moss for the substrate. Is there anything better I could use? x

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Be sure you put something waterproof on the sides and the bottom to prevent the wood from rotting and molding. The mold can harm the tortoise.

Tiff

5 Year Member
I like it! What kind of wood did you use? What material did you use for the bottom?

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
North Cyprus
Today was a failure. Hubby said his friend (our plumber) would go and buy the wood for me but he didn't :-( I was so excited as well. I will go myself tomorrow! Thanks for the tip about waterproofing the bottom. Hadn't thought about that x

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
make sure to account for height....you will want substrate to be able to reach 5 or 6 inches deep at least, more is better, but at least 5-6....:D

I see alot of hand gestures going on during the conversation...lol...

kjr153

5 Year Member
Want another opinion/comment :) On the side that the shelter is on, maybe you should put hinges on the top piece so that you can open it and clean in there better... just a thought.

tortoisesincyprus

5 Year Member
North Cyprus
Comments and opinions are always welcome :)

This is my design so far...

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391231093.651577.jpg

They have a good outside space when the weather gets warmer...

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391231162.440277.jpg

I've not used it since November since the temperature here is about 18 degrees during the day but 9 or 10 degrees at night so a bit cold but they'll be back outside from March onwards.

Last edited by a moderator: