Fire risk from heat bulb

Ember909

Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm building a vivarium out of mostly wood, but I don't know how far the heat bulb should be from the sides/roof? I was planning on making the lights hang from a wood beam running across the roof, but depending on how far down to they need to be, I might need to make the roof higher. Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Are you using a CHE or an MVB? The heat should be high enough that at tort height it is no more than 100 degrees.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah, what kind of fixtures would those be?
What do you mean? Hooded fixtures have a hood that directs the heat down ward. These can be bought at Home Depot for about $13 each. Other types would be mounted directly to the ceiling, with no hood, and you'd screw the bulb into them. Either type works. The flush mounted type allow you to have a lower enclosure, while the hanging type require a little higher ceiling to have room for them.

In this picture you can see a flush mounted type with no bulb in it. The snake species in this enclosure does not need additional heat, so I'm not using this socket:
IMG_6546.JPG

In this pic, you can see a couple of hooded domes hanging inside:
1588416.jpg