Dumb basking question

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Can a CHE be used for a basking area (as well as heat) or do they actually need the source of heat for basking to be a lightbulb.
I am trying to set up my new enclosures and it is trickier than I realized. The CHE placed off center keeps the enclosure at 75 -90. If I put even just an additional 65 watt bulb in for basking, it drives the temps way up. I did buy a thermostat. But just keeping the 100w CHE only, gives me perfect temp ranges. Directly under the che is around 97 degrees.

Though I haven't installed the UVB tubes yet. So that may be another wrench.

Which generates another question: will the high humidity affect the uvb fixture?
I have only ever used a mvb for heat/light/basking in a more open tub for my redfoots.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not dumb questions at all. I had actually wondered if a tortoise would know the CHE area is for basking or do they need the light to know where to go. Like they would if they were basking under the sun and like mine do now going for the mvb. I have a tube fluorescent in my chameleon cage and was using one when caring for two Leo's and the humidity has not bothered it at all.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a blue tongued skink lizard (not a tort I know) that I use the black heat bulbs to heat his enclosure. I put his long tube UVB bulb directly next to the black bulb and he does go over there to bask. Sometimes he sits right under the black bulb and sometimes he basks on a rock just off to the side. I think the trick is to just illuminate that area enough with your fluorescent lights as well.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i always felt that since in the wild they search for the sun for heat that they expect it. they wake up in the morning because of the light and that's a chance to warm up from the cold night. do you have another light source that actually lights up the enclosure enough so it's not dark?

i suppose you could just try it and see. if all the temps are right, i don't see any harm in testing it. if your torts activity level drops that's a good indicator that he needs actual light.

and uvb tubes give off very little heat, if any. and as long as there's no condensation on the fixture directly i think it'd be fine.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I was told that the light stimulates them into waking up and moving about which is why they say to point the opening of their outdoor hides towards the rising sun. I have some that bask under the che, some under the light and still others that sit in front of the heater fan so I guess it really is up to the tortoise. I am no expert, but from the actions of mine I would say they pretty much decide to do whatever they want to do all by themselves. Within the realm of what a tortoise does of course.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Well yes, they will have light from the uvb tube. Pretty bright.
Still not sure how I will mount that. I have to look at the enclosure thread to get ideas. But it will be on a timer and will be their "sunlight."

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to run my CHE on a thermostat and use that to maintain ambient temps. You won't have to worry about it overheating the enclosure because the thermostat will cut it off if the temps climb too high.

I prefer to have my heat source associated with light. Usually I use an incandescent flood bulb. I once used a florescent bulb over a Kane heat mat. They were both on the same timer. This worked well for me.

You can use your tube for light and UV, a flood bulb for basking and heating the warm side, and a CHE on a thermostat to make sure that your temps are always warm enough, but never too hot.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Dumb basking question

AnnV said:
Can a CHE be used for a basking area (as well as heat) or do they actually need the source of heat for basking to be a lightbulb.
I am trying to set up my new enclosures and it is trickier than I realized. The CHE placed off center keeps the enclosure at 75 -90. If I put even just an additional 65 watt bulb in for basking, it drives the temps way up. I did buy a thermostat. But just keeping the 100w CHE only, gives me perfect temp ranges. Directly under the che is around 97 degrees.

Though I haven't installed the UVB tubes yet. So that may be another wrench.

Which generates another question: will the high humidity affect the uvb fixture?
I have only ever used a mvb for heat/light/basking in a more open tub for my redfoots.

High humidity will not effect the UVB fixture. The tube will not blow up if some water spray gets to it. Obviously try not to get much water on the fixture when spraying the enclosure. T5 HO fixtures and bulbs do generate some heat, depending on size and number of bulbs. If yours is a closed chamber enclosure and fixture is fully inside, it may drive the temps up minimal to moderate amount.

A simple answer to your CHE source for basking question is yes. (This does not address you using a single CHE for both ambient heat and basking). Torts are sensitive to temperatures regardless of light. They can sense radiant heat from some distance away, once they find it they rather quickly remember where the spot is. (In certain sense CHE is a better choice for basking source as it provides broader and more even basking area/temp. Light bulbs create a narrow hot spot.) You can place CHE next to UVB tube, when tort basks it will receive some UVB as well. Don't melt the UVB fixture, use common sense on how close the CHE can be. Inside the UVB fixture is a ballast. You will have to figure out on which side it is and mount the fixture in such way that CHE is on the opposite end as to not overheat the ballast).

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
So if you use a CHE for heat and a UVB bulb you don't need any other light source coz that would be perfect for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tinkerbell said:
So if you use a CHE for heat and a UVB bulb you don't need any other light source coz that would be perfect for me.

Yes if you are able to maintain the proper temperatures and temperature gradients, and if its bright enough and your tortoise does well with the set up. Every enclosure and situation is different. So what works for one person might not work for someone else. Make your enclosure, check the temps and humidity, make the necessary adjustments to get the environmental parameters you want, and then watch the tortoise. If they move around a lot, eat well, bask and hide at different times, grow, etc. then you probably have it "right". If they hide on the cool end all the time, or sit under the light all the time, don't grow much, don't eat well, etc..., you probably need to "fix" something.