Finaly got logged on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Welcome to the forum!

You have quite an impressive collection! Sheesh, and here I thought I jumped in with both feet with five torts! Lol

Do you have plans to move into a place with a huge yard? We're thinking five acres for our four sulcatas, cherry head, dog, cat, most likely some chickens once we find our land. I couldn't imagine having all my torts in an apartment. I had my one sulcata in an apartment and felt so guilty. I'd love to see your set up once it's done!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
alysciaingram said:
Welcome to the forum!

You have quite an impressive collection! Sheesh, and here I thought I jumped in with both feet with five torts! Lol

Do you have plans to move into a place with a huge yard? We're thinking five acres for our four sulcatas, cherry head, dog, cat, most likely some chickens once we find our land. I couldn't imagine having all my torts in an apartment. I had my one sulcata in an apartment and felt so guilty. I'd love to see your set up once it's done!

My plan is simple really. My brother lives in south Texas near El Campo. He is currently trying to buy a house on 7.5 acres of cattle land. It is full of great hay, clover, dandelion and prickly pear cactus (which we will enclose so they only get it when we burn off the thorns). I will raise them until they are three years old or so, and then we will move them out to the country to become fine upstanding young men and women. I hope to have saved enough by then to get a small time job and move into tortoise and box turtle husbandry for fun mostly but also to help defer the costs associated with it.
I also know that I am far less stressed then I was a month ago! I sit and watch these little guys for hours sometimes.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
That sounds awesome. My reason for getting them was much less sophisticated. I just wanted dinosaurs in my backyard. I'm glad you have a long term goal with them. I'm sure they'll be wonderfully, upstanding tortoise citizens.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Damn, those were cheap!
My cherry head was $425, and that is the cheapest I've seen. They're usually over $500.
Sulcatas and leopards usually go for around $300, Greeks and Hermann's about $700 and Russians between $500 and $600.

These prices reflect single tortoises, not pairs.

RES go for about $30 though.. which is sad because there are so many that end up in horrible places.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
dwright27 said:
Damn, those were cheap!
My cherry head was $425, and that is the cheapest I've seen. They're usually over $500.
Sulcatas and leopards usually go for around $300, Greeks and Hermann's about $700 and Russians between $500 and $600.

RES go for about $30 though.. which is sad because there are so many that end up in horrible places.

These are Canadian prices? Not to derail the thread, but I have to ask since those prices seem crazy. Are those for full grown torts?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
alysciaingram said:
dwright27 said:
Damn, those were cheap!

These are Canadian prices? Not to derail the thread, but I have to ask since those prices seem crazy. Are those for full grown torts?

Wow! Sounds like those prices may be a deterent to casuals who might buy a $60 Sulcata and toss him into the woods if he becomes to hard to raise. I have seen some absolutly georgeous cherry heads at the shows in Texas but the most expensive one was only $225. Russians you can get at Petco or Petsmart for under $100 right now as long as you don't mind a male and you do not care if they are selling wild caught and housing them in horrible conditions. I want to break into every petsmart I see and steal their torts. I feel so bad that I can not rescue them and stop the maddness.

dwright27

5 Year Member
alysciaingram said:
dwright27 said:
Damn, those were cheap!

Yeah, those are Canadian prices that I've seen. I think a lot of it also has to do with CITES.. these tortoises just aren't as readily available here as they are in the States. These prices are for babies.

Saleama said:
Wow! Sounds like those prices may be a deterent to casuals who might buy a $60 Sulcata and toss him into the woods if he becomes to hard to raise. I have seen some absolutly georgeous cherry heads at the shows in Texas but the most expensive one was only $225. Russians you can get at Petco or Petsmart for under $100 right now as long as you don't mind a male and you do not care if they are selling wild caught and housing them in horrible conditions. I want to break into every petsmart I see and steal their torts. I feel so bad that I can not rescue them and stop the maddness.

Yeah.. I hear you. So many pet stores have their animals in really bad conditions. Reptiles, birds, rodents, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.