Finaly got logged on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I just became a Tortoise owner for the first time and I am loving it. I find myself doing all kinds of things for my little guys/gals. Today I started on their new Tortoise table so the little guys can get out of the huge tub they call home at the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

I currently have:
0.0.4 Baby Sulcatas
0.0.2 Baby Leopard Tortoises
0.0.3 Three toed Box turtles (all look completly different. Have the same father and different mothers)

Attachments

• IMG_20130725_183742.jpg
    IMG_20130725_183742.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20130725_183752.jpg
    IMG_20130725_183752.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). First your different tortoise species should not be housed together. Second, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care in raising smooth, healthy sulcatas and leopards.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
New to all of this.....

IMG_20130725_183742.jpgI just got my babies this month and I am having a blast taking care of these little guys/gals. I even started building a tortoise table. It will be 10' x 4' x 12" with a nice big hide at one end and a huge garden full of grass and clover at the other end. Once these six little guys grow up and move outside, I hope to use this table for my Boxies or some Russian Torts... I can't decide which!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

How big are your sulcatas? It is difficult to simulate the hot humid rainy season that hatchlings sulcatas need in an open topped box. Of course this depends on your climate and the room your tortoise is in. I use 4x8' closed chambers and it makes it a piece of cake.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). First your different tortoise species should not be housed together. Second, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care in raising smooth, healthy sulcatas and leopards.

All of mine are babies. The two oldest are about three months and the other four are just over a month old. I have built the new table with a four foot section at the end, the garden, that can be closed off at a moments notice. The box turtles are a little over a year and only come in contact with the tortoises when we all go outside to play. They have their own pen and play area seperate from the torts. The Sulcatas and the Leopards get along really well at the moment but I have a plan in place for the second they do not. I have a friend who has 2 male leopards and a breeding pair of Sulcatas and they all share the same yard. They parade around it like a little acting troop. All of my research and every breeder at three reptile shows has told me that Leopards and Sulcatas can share a pen...until they can't. LOL....
Thanks a bunch for the welcome! I will post more pics as I get them with a better camera.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

How big are your sulcatas? It is difficult to simulate the hot humid rainy season that hatchlings sulcatas need in an open topped box. Of course this depends on your climate and the room your tortoise is in. I use 4x8' closed chambers and it makes it a piece of cake.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy the forum.

They are little. The smallest is 34 grams and the biggest is 58 grams. The tub I have them in has plants and nothing but eco-earth in it. I water the plants daily and the babies get a bath every night. The water, if they do not poop in it, is poured into the tub when they are done. Their hide, which they hardly use, is kept very moist as well. I also have very high humidity in my apartment., I live in Texas! LOL....
They are little pigs as well. I have them on a diet of timothy hay mixed with dandelion flowers and leaves, clover leaves, wheat grass and cactus pads. They get fed everyday with one skip day. They have a calcium mixture they get every third day as well as a tray of calcium in with them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Looks like you have been busy. :) Can we see pictures of the gang?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Looks like you have been busy. :) Can we see pictures of the gang?

Sure. i will post in a minute. I don't have a good pic now but will post more tomorrow when I get my camera from work.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Here are a few pics....I think. I haven't figured out how to work this site yet...

As you can see, they all play nice at the moment.
The Boxies are named J Swatt, Dre and Cush. The torts are from biggest to smallest:
Sulcatas: Taco, Nacho Cheese, Razor and Rollo
Leopards: CiCi and 99 (because their spots spell Cici and 99's on one side looks like 1999 and on the other 1990) 99 also has a heart on his front scute and Cici has an arrow.

Attachments

• DSCN0417.JPG
    DSCN0417.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0419.JPG
    DSCN0419.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0469.JPG
    DSCN0469.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 58

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Here are some pics of my little family....

Attachments

• DSCN0428.JPG
    DSCN0428.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0469.JPG
    DSCN0469.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 49

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Ok....trying to figure this thing out so bare with me....

Attachments

• DSCN0407.JPG
    DSCN0407.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0408.JPG
    DSCN0408.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • DSCN0410.JPG
    DSCN0410.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0416.JPG
    DSCN0416.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0469.JPG
    DSCN0469.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 33

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
DSCN0469.JPG
Jacqui said:

I keep trying to post pics but the posts are not showing up. i don't know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Saleama said:
Jacqui said:

I keep trying to post pics but the posts are not showing up. i don't know what I am doing wrong?

You were doing nothing wrong. A new member has to have their first five posts approved by a Mod, before they show up on the forum. Your posts just had not yet been approved.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Jacqui said:
Saleama said:
Jacqui said:

You were doing nothing wrong. A new member has to have their first five posts approved by a Mod, before they show up on the forum. Your posts just had not yet been approved.

LOL....Well then I got alot of the same pictures up. I brought my camera home this afternoon and hope to get more pics up. It is raining out now so we can't go out to play.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
dwright27 said:
Welcome! Your little guys are SO cute!!

Thank you. I have 14 babies in all. I wish I could figure out how to add them to a sig at the bottom of the page. But I have 3 Three Toed Boxies that are a little over a year old. 3 Gulf coast boxies , 1 that is 2 and a half and 2 that are a little over a year and a half, 2 three toed boxie hatchlings that I will pick up tomorrow, 4, 3 - 6 month old Sulcatas and 2 3 month old Leopards.
I work over an hour in the mornings before work each day getting them their morning bathes and snacks. Then do it all again at night when I come home. The Torts are easy, I pick dandelion greens and clover off of my wall before I come inside. The boxies are not so easy and have, unfortunatly, become picky eaters.

dwright27

5 Year Member
At the top of the screen it should say your name and "User CP". You can change your signature in there.

Are you a breeder? I can't imagine how expensive it would be to buy so many babies so close together lol. Although I often forget that most things, including animals, are MUCH cheaper in the US than here in Canada.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
dwright27 said:
At the top of the screen it should say your name and "User CP". You can change your signature in there.

Are you a breeder? I can't imagine how expensive it would be to buy so many babies so close together lol. Although I often forget that most things, including animals, are MUCH cheaper in the US than here in Canada.

LOL...no, not a breeder. I got the 3 three toed last summer then 2 Sulcatas at Repticon in Pasadena Texas for $150 for the pair (unrelated), then I got two sibling Sulcatas and two unrelated Leopards at the Reptile show the following week in Arlington Texas. Those four cost me $310 and then this afternoon I got 3 Gulf coast boxies for $180. The set up I have right now was about $200. It is only that much because I have different indoor pens for each type and I have a quarantine pen. My cousin had 3 of the three toes from the same clutch and one of them got sick and died, about two weeks later so did the other two. I will not have that happen so I have a stand-by for the sick ones if there ever are any.

I am currently building a 10 x 4 x 1 Tortoise tableThat will cover one wall of my living room. it is made from recycled crates I got from work and will be complete next week. It has areas for all types as well as a high side for when these go outside and I get a Russian group.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man I hope you have a big yard . You got a lot of torts .
I have one sulcata,three red foot ,and two red ear sliders . They take some time in the morning and after work but i love it . I wish my wife would let me get more but I would have to take over more yard .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.