Finally ready for my first tortoise - need species recommendations

22szwick

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi all!
I’ve finally built an outdoor space to house my first tortoise. The space is currently 8.5 feet by 4.5 feet, and I’m looking for which species you all have experience with and recommend for this space. This space will be the main living area but the tortoise will have access to an entire garden space under supervision (100+ square feet). I live in area that has warm and humid summers so I’m keeping that in mind as well.
Thanks in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What do you have planned for winters? When its cold and they can't be outside that's where a lot of people can't provide adequate space.
Is the 8.5x4.5 the only space available as a permanent space when it's an adult?
Russians need that size space. Anything bigger will need much more even with sometime garden space available.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!
I’ve finally built an outdoor space to house my first tortoise. The space is currently 8.5 feet by 4.5 feet, and I’m looking for which species you all have experience with and recommend for this space. This space will be the main living area but the tortoise will have access to an entire garden space under supervision (100+ square feet). I live in area that has warm and humid summers so I’m keeping that in mind as well.
Thanks in advance!
I had the same question as Barb. Where will it live for the other 8 months of every year when its too cold there?

That size is the minimum recommended for a small male Testudo. Either a greek, hermanni, or Russian. 2 to 4 times that size would be much better for an outdoor enclosure.

Do you have a temperature controlled shelter for night time to keep him safe?

Here is the care info for those species: