Finally buying a leo-- but which one to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've been looking for a baby leopard for a little while, and I've finally narrowed my search to 2 animals. There's a local guy who's been working with torts for a while, and currently is breeding radiated torts, but has bred leopards in the past. The currently babies he has aren't his own, but he bought them from other local breeder about a month ago. I want an animal that's past the infancy, in the ~6 month stage or so.

The first is a babcocki/pardalis hybride, about 3-3/4", very active, very friendly and cute. It will rub its head against my finger. Very interactive. However, it has a little pyramiding. It's not terrible, but it's definitely noticeable. For an animal this size, it's enough to annoy me.

The second animal is a tiny bit smaller (about 3-1/2"), and seems to be a regular babcocki. Maybe a tiny bit less active than the first one, and a little bit more why. I played with him for several minutes, at first a little reluctant to have his head rubbed, but eventually got more comfortable with me and let me brush his head. Still not as receptive as the first tort, but close. Excellent eater. Not quite as attracive as the first one, but almost no pyramiding. This tort came from a different breeder than the first.

My decision will be based on whether its' possible for the first tortoise to get rid of most of the pyramiding, and whether regular handling will make the second tortoise as friendly as the first. If I provide the first one with lots of humidity, will I just limit further pyramiding, or will the shell eventually smooth out? Also, is a tortoise's disposition basically set at a young age? That is, will regular interaction make the second baby as friendly as the first?

Thanks!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Pyramiding will not go away but it will be less and less noticeable as it gets bigger. Leopards seem to be rather hard to keep from pyramiding but if you keep it humid or swampy as Tom puts it, than it can be done. I think the little one would warm up to you it probably was not handled as much as the other one. I think either way you will enjoy a Leo.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
If it was up to me, I would play with both of them... see which you are more attracted to and try to just go by gut feeling rather than cosmetic. You want to make sure you will love the animal more than anything. Minor cosmetic things are just what makes the tortoise more your own. Now if it's severe life threatening pyramiding then that's something to consider but you mentioned it's just noticeable but nothing major. Keep in mind, you will be stuck with this sucker for.. probably the rest of your life !

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
were they raised right? good hydration?
Hel.. get both!
post pictures of them and maybe others can give better answers..

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I'm with the others - get both!

The pyramiding won't go away really, but that shouldn't stop you from purchasing it either. If you feel a connection with it then get that one. Almost all leo's have some level of pyramding anyway.

The shyness will go away over time and attention. I have a Babcocki that doesn't really like strangers but will see me and come running, mostly because he probably thinks I have food again. All torts have a different personality, so take some with both and see where your gut takes you.

Good luck. :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Sounds like #1 has a lot of personality...and by the time it grows a bit more, the pyramidding will not be noticable.

Then, again, two can be twice as nice! :)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I have to agree with the masses, get both. My husband, who was skeptical of getting a tort to begin with already wants another, lol! I am sticking with one...... for now ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't get either. The seller sounds a little sketchy to me. Buy one from a known breeder here on the forum that other people have dealt with and recommend.

The pyramiding would be a deal breaker on tortoise number one for me as it indicates he was NOT raised correctly.

The personality of number two is pretty typical of the babcocki subspecies and is not likely to change a whole heck of a lot.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Like the above poster said. Sounds a little sketchy. I too would go with a recommended breeder. As far as a tortoise shyness, that varies from animal. The statement that babcocki are a shy species is obviously the opinion of an inexperienced keeper and in no way encompases the sub.sp. Read what the more experince on TFO have to say about them. I think what we have been exposed to here on TFO is an exaggeration of ones experience with comments like that. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If the pyramiding is already turning you off, stay away from the first one. There are certainly a lot of other options out there, and you don't want to see something come up after you purchase that one and have any regrets, if you know what I mean.

The second one, being a good eater and has little to no pyramiding, sounds like the better choice. Like Greg T said, the shyness will go away with time and attention. I've always said that personality is unique to the individual tortoise, and it's well proven by many members of our forum. If this one's personality makes you hesitant, look around some more. It shouldn't be too difficult to find exactly what you are looking for.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Honestly I would buy one from the forum at the very least, that way you know the person who breed them and under what conditions. With the pyramiding they were probably kept dry. It may cost a little more on the forum what with shipping and all, but we have seen lots of young/baby tortoises die quickly when bought and kept under dry conditions by the previous owner, I would save some heartbreak and personally get one off of the forum. When I am ready to get my leo I will be buying from the forum myself.

M

Maggie Cummings

I wouldn't get either one. We have several leopard breeders here on the forum and that would be a better choice for you. If those babies were kept as dry as the pyramiding says they were they might have organ damage and could die or just not be very healthy. Leo's as a species are very shy and if one is acting that way as a baby it would probably stay shy and not be much fun. I personally wouldn't get either of those and would look into getting a Hermanni or another species known for being more out going and friendly, but I'd really think twice about paying good money for an animal that's likely to not be very healthy...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
David, from someone who has been keeping a breeding leopard tortoises for over 20 years, if you have the space for one I would recommend that you do. They are a very personable and outgoing species and you really cant go wrong. Have you emailed or sent PM's to any of the SoCal Forum members that breed them?

Status
Not open for further replies.