DELIMA!! Which would YOU choose? **PIC**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I don't enjoy killing animals but in this case this dog probably would have ended up dead anyway. As I said, this dog had been seen running livestock and no one in the area knew where it belonged. When I recovered it, I found the id tag on collar and called owner. They were under the impression dog could run free in outside city. They were the cruel ones. This is reason why I got Frank. He is a great detterant to canines of any sort. With him out there I don't worry, don't have to watch constantly, and only problem I have now is a 500 pound equine trying to go thru my pockets for treats. LOL. I do have dogs that are confined to their area (1/4 acre backyard) and only one is allowed to be free out of fence (with me) because she is the herding dog (she can move goats).

EriNichole

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:( *hugs* I am really sorry to hear what has happened. It won't bring your tortoise back, but those folks are legally required to pay for your lost tortoise (and morally too).

I am assuming you have an open backyard? Sounds like before you try getting the second tortoise, you need to do some fence building and some enclosure security work. If a dog got it this time, it will try again...or some other animal will. Take it as a wake up call that you need to rethink your pen a bit.

What had you use for the sides of the cage? For the lid? Was the only thing forming the wall in front the blocks? Was there any barriers all around your yard to keep things out? Just going by your photos of your poor tort.

What kind of a dog was it?

Thanks for your nice words, I appreciate your concern. I have a six foot wooden privacy fence surrounding my yard, which just happens to be a very small yard prob less than 1200 sq.ft. I decided that the tort garden wasn't safe enough to leave him in 24/7 so the plan was to keep him indoors until I built a tort pen fit for the king of torts. It just so happens that my husbands schedule and mine overlap in a way so that when I leave to go to work he usually gets home within an hour. I told him to bring the tort inside and let our dog out when he got home, our dog stays inside during that overlap time. My tort was actually about 5" SCH.

He didn't tell me about it until I got home around 10pm, didn't want to upset me while I was at work. But the horrid little beast, either a rat or possibly a fox terrier mix type, had already done the damage and was caught in the act! I contacted animal control first thing this morning and showed her the tort remains and the place where it had dug under the fence. She said she would be contacting them regarding the matter and took photos of the "scene". Of course the place in the fence has been fixed, and soon to be reinforced, but it just downright sucks to have to go through this.

I know they are legally required to pay for the damage but they have never come off as "good neighbors" and have even been somewhat "coarse" when it comes to just regular neighborly contact. I am going to let them know about the incident, I'm sure they will have already found out from the ACO, and tell them I expect to be repaid for the damage. However, I doubt it will get me anywhere I'm not going to take them to court over it (though I should) I still have to live next to these people.. 30 yr mortgage ain't no joke when You have crappy neighbors and crappy neighbors can ALWAYS get worse, Ya know?

I've contacted the breeder regarding my second tort and told him about this whole mess. I'm hoping he will just send the money back I paid him for her, awaiting word on that though.....

Sad Sad Day

EriNichole

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
Hopefully the neighbor makes it right with you and keeps their dog confined from now on. I to live in the country and had a similar incident. A neighbor let his dog run free because it was country. Well this dog got into my goat herd and savaged 4 milkers. I own a .243 rifle for coyotes which worked very well on a shepherd cross. The owner called the sheriff on me and ended up paying vet bills and was informed if he took it to court would end paying for lose of income from milk ( it worked out to about 9 months milk production).

Yeah I used to live in the Country too, and had the same problem with packs of strays killing my goats too. One of my dog trainer friends told me to either get a Great pyranese, a donkey or a .22 ..... So I opted for the rifle, semi-auto, it was cheaper to feed. I was single at the time and when I was at work there was no one to watch out for them, but I had awesome neighbors, they somtimes would keep an eye on the place from across the field when I was away at work. They were aweful dogs and would find a way in my pen no matter what I did to secure it... Hotwire, hog panels, wood planks I even closed them up in the barn only to find the scoundrels camped out waiting for "breakfast"... nothing kept them away! I only had 23 goats in my little herd and they wiped out more than half of the herd before I was able rehome them all. Of course no one cared if I was pickin off the strays, because everyone was pretty much fed up with their presence they wreaked havok on a couple of my neighbors chickens and goat herds too.

Now that I live in the subdivision, I don't think a little bit of good o' farm justice would go over too well with these folks.. HA! nevermind who the PRIME suspect would be! As much as I would like to do something, I just can't hurt their pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
PYGY said:
I've contacted the breeder regarding my second tort and told him about this whole mess. I'm hoping he will just send the money back I paid him for her, awaiting word on that though.....

Sad Sad Day

I don't mean to sound cruel, but in my opinion, the breeder should not have to absorb the cost of your neighbor's responsibility. He sold you the tortoise in good faith, and any guarantee probably didn't include dog chews. I think the breeder's responsibility ended when your neighbor's dog did the dirty deed.

Yvonne

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't agree with yvonne often... I actually do... but... why should the seller absorb the cost of your loss?

Ed

PYGY said:

Sad Sad Day

I don't mean to sound cruel, but in my opinion, the breeder should not have to absorb the cost of your neighbor's responsibility. He sold you the tortoise in good faith, and any guarantee probably didn't include dog chews. I think the breeder's responsibility ended when your neighbor's dog did the dirty deed.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is unusual but I can't argue with Ed either. Erin, I know where you can get a full grown water monitor. LOL

EriNichole

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-EJ said:
I don't agree with yvonne often... I actually do... but... why should the seller absorb the cost of your loss?

Ed

PYGY said:

Sad Sad Day

Yvonne

The Breeder still HAS the second tort. I would NEVER ask for or expect a refund from him for damage caused by my neighbors dog. I had given him a deposit for a second tort but under the circumstances I don't think it would be such a good idea (seems terribly irresponsible don't cha think?) to bring home another until I get all of this other mess resolved and build a "terrier proof" enclosure. If he has a potential buyer wanting to purchase the other tort then I just assume he go ahead and collect for it rather than hold it for me until I'm ready... who knows by the time things come together on this mess she may still be available and may come home with me afterall... 80)

EriNichole

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
This is unusual but I can't argue with Ed either. Erin, I know where you can get a full grown water monitor. LOL

Larry, That monitor offer is VERY tempting! heh-heh, is my forked tail and horns showing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
PYGY said:
The Breeder still HAS the second tort. I would NEVER ask for or expect a refund from him for damage caused by my neighbors dog.

I'm sorry!! I misunderstood. But good thinking on your part about not wanting to bring another baby home until the dog problem is solved!

Yvonne

EriNichole

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No worries Yvonne, I though I had mentioned it in an earlier post that I had brought one home and placed a deposit for a second tort. I Shudder at the thought it may have ended up being a DOUBLE homicide!! .... As sad as I am about the whole mess I gotta keep my humor about me, otherwise I have a tendency to dwell on things and hold onto bad feelings... no good for the spirit.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
What's the world coming to... gotta agree again.
I too misunderstood. Any seller with any sense of right would definately give you your deposit back under your conditions.

Ed

PYGY said:
The Breeder still HAS the second tort. I would NEVER ask for or expect a refund from him for damage caused by my neighbors dog.

I'm sorry!! I misunderstood. But good thinking on your part about not wanting to bring another baby home until the dog problem is solved!

Yvonne

agranny4

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
B'ham, Al.
PYGY said:
Soo, I have a MAJOR delima! Four Adorable little Leopard torts and only enough moola for TWO... all are equally healthy and happy 3-4 yr olds from a local breeder. So at this point color is the hang up.... this is where you guys come in.....Heeeeeelllllp!

Which would be your FIRST and SECOND choice picks? ( don't say I didn't warn ya, this is TOUGH!)

swtpaf.jpg

Ok all the numbers are not showing but as soon as I saw them I went straight to the one with a 3 on it and then the one at the top of page that I bet is 4 but it was a close race between the top and the one to far right that I bet is 1 . I would be voting between 3 and 4 at top and think I would settle on the top one ....yep the TOP ONE ....

EriNichole

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for your vote agranny4.... but if you gat a chance read through the whole thread... It seems to have become somewhat of a DRAMA! ... I ended up selecting the one on the right and then TRAGEDY struck!

.. UPDATE, the breeder got back to me and will be sending the deposit back for the other one... He's a REALLY nice person, I will be getting another from him once the storm passes and I have built a terrier proof tort play pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.