female TTBT coloration as a sexing tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i was looking around the web today and looking at my own personal turts of past and present. has anybody or does anybody have a FEMALE ttbt with white facial coloration? of my two current females penelope has a little bit of orange on her lower jaw, where as penny has a few vivid orange red markings on her cheaks and face. my male has alot of coloration but has very pernounced black and white bars on his face...

also looking back to previous females and males that have left my home no females had white while both of the two previous males did.

so im putting it out there do you have a female with white coloring? if not it would be interesting to see if this was a strickly male attribute of which i currently believe... hmm the questions of the day : )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its too bad this wasn't a rule. But I have had some very colorful three toes box turtles lay eggs. I would have sworn by the color they were male.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
i posted this on another feed by accident.....

here are the pics of Ninja..who I think is a girl, however "she" mounted my other TTBT..please notice her Plastron is completely flat

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
thats a darn shame! i was totally hoping it was a male attribute but at least i know now for the future that facial coloration isnt definitive : (, i suppose ill keep on looking at their tails : )

jojodesca Ninja is a boy!!! LOL or a very confuzzled young lady : )

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Scott..do you really think Ninja is a boy?..even with the flat plastron?....I cant get a good pic of the tail...its tuck way under tight....

i'm confused as well!!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
i really do think it is a boy even with the flat plastron. though like i just posted in another thread : ) put them together and see what happens again. take the ornate out and leave the two ttbt's alone for a bit, behaviorly ninja is acting just like any boy would even with his flat plastron. if ninja mounts leave them alone. then after they get going if ninja leans back he is attempting to mate and id say let them have a go : ) this is undisputible LOL here are a few links to the possible egg laid, though it "could" have been a white turd : ) which is why we are all confused : )

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/faq.html#droppings #1
http://www.reptilechannel.com/turtles-and-tortoises/tortoise-care/tortoise-feces-white.aspx

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Jo Jo, can you get a pic of Ninja's back legs/feet?

My female TTBT Mikaayla has white facial markings and white on her front legs as well.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
TTBT's are the hardest for me to sex too. Easterns are a breeze. My first TTBT I was mystified for a long time(although he came early on in my turtle experience). He has a flat plastron and does not have what I would consider a fat or long tail.... that being said it is not really short either. His eyes are a rusty orange brown. He was tough. Everything he has was in the middle, where it could go either way. On top of that he was so shy when I got him he rarely came out of his shell. Anytime you really tried to look he hid in his shell.

When he started arguing with my Eastern male was when I finally knew he was a boy. Today he is a VERY outgoing, non shy, adventurous male who many times pesters the 5 ladies he is with too much that I end up taking him out so they can eat in piece.... Even my boys will come in and say "MOM, Franklin is trying to be frisky again - he is pestering the girls"
He is now fathering fertile eggs.... :)

long story long.. ttbt are harder to sex..... ugh

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
LOL the only way to be positive is to either see him fanning or her laying! haha ive had actions by a female that made me think male and vice versa :) but ive got them all figured out now :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
i was looking around the web today and looking at my own personal turts of past and present. has anybody or does anybody have a FEMALE ttbt with white facial coloration? of my two current females penelope has a little bit of orange on her lower jaw, where as penny has a few vivid orange red markings on her cheaks and face. my male has alot of coloration but has very pernounced black and white bars on his face...

also looking back to previous females and males that have left my home no females had white while both of the two previous males did.

so im putting it out there do you have a female with white coloring? if not it would be interesting to see if this was a strickly male attribute of which i currently believe... hmm the questions of the day : )

My female TT has orange on her lower face but no white at all ..

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
010-54.jpg

The only sure way to tell. I've had some beautiful TT's with white and orange on the neck and legs. I've also had some really drab Eastern's that were male...hardly any color. I have a few female Eastern's now that are full of color....I don't think there's a rule as far as color goes. My dream....a very high color RED male and a Box turtle with the BLUE gene....that's a hint Steve..

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
yeah i guess this theory was debunked :) especially after i picked up my second trio of which both girls had white! but it was a theory

It was a hypothesis :p

Status
Not open for further replies.