Few random question

Status
Not open for further replies.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeside, California
Have a couple of quick questions?
When can you tell the sex of Sulcata babies?

I know they are suppose to be kept separate, and have the room to separate them with each ending up with large enclosures, but what is the best chance for keeping two together, male/ male, female/male, or female/female?

Taz belongs to my sons girlfriend, and Patience belongs to me, but both will be staying with me as long as possible maybe forever, if we separate them when they are older will they be depressed? Or should we get two more so when they do separate each has a companion? Or is it a wait and see thing and maybe adopt a larger companion if one is depressed?
Thanks for any help.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Usually you can tell the sex of a sulcata at the age of 4-5 years. It is really not a good idea to keep sulcatas together. For reasons of bullying. They do not like companions. They like to be alone. My suggestion would be to keep them desperate. There are threads below my signature that are helpful in raising sulcatas. I recommend reading...

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Okay so what I am getting from this, and Please tell me if I am wrong, the two I have should be fine when my son moves out and takes his? And not to add any more to the mix?
When should I separate the babies? They are only 5 weeks old tomorrow? They get along fine no aggression while feeding and they sleep right next to each other.
thank you for the reply and links I have read and reread Toms link on hatchling and care. It's the best. But had not seen the discussion on about housing two or more together.
Thanks again.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I think the gender identification is more about size than age. My male "flashed" me when he was 26 months old. Sulcata don't seemed to do well in pairs. Current thinking is that you can have one male and two or more females together. Maybe. It seems that right from birth they compete for the best basking spot, hiding spot, sleeping spot, food, etc. Years ago I had Desert tortoises. When I adopted them I was told that I needed to take two because they needed the competition to sustain life. At least 3 times a week I found one of them on his back. This continued for years until my circumstances caused me to re-home them.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Dizisdalife said:
I think the gender identification is more about size than age. My male "flashed" me when he was 26 months old. Sulcata don't seemed to do well in pairs. Current thinking is that you can have one male and two or more females together. Maybe. It seems that right from birth they compete for the best basking spot, hiding spot, sleeping spot, food, etc. Years ago I had Desert tortoises. When I adopted them I was told that I needed to take two because they needed the competition to sustain life. At least 3 times a week I found one of them on his back. This continued for years until my circumstances caused me to re-home them.

I also have a desert tort, rescued from a drug house. I was told the same thing to get him a companion. I am learning so much here and now know not to. I thought the Sullies could be his companion but am finding out that is a bad idea also.
I am so grateful for everyone's knowledge.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
L82lalaland said:
Okay so what I am getting from this, and Please tell me if I am wrong, the two I have should be fine when my son moves out and takes his? And not to add any more to the mix?
When should I separate the babies? They are only 5 weeks old tomorrow? They get along fine no aggression while feeding and they sleep right next to each other.
thank you for the reply and links I have read and reread Toms link on hatchling and care. It's the best. But had not seen the discussion on about housing two or more together.
Thanks again.

Yes, they will be fine when your son takes his. If you see any bullying going on at all, that's when you should separate. Things such as, one sleeping in the doorway of a hide, so to not let the other in, one not eating as much as it used too, ramming, trying to climb on top of the other, one hiding more then usual, there may be more signs, I can't think of right now. The best ratio to keep more then one together is the 2-1, 2 females to 1 male and still lots of room and sight barriers.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I have two right now and so far I have not had any bullying, Kresh is two and Lola turned one in August. They have been together over a year and so far so good. I don't know the sex of either of them. I know that some day I might have to separate them but not yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pairs are a bad idea. You don't have to see any overt bullying for the weaker of the two to feel intimidated. Here's a better explanation. The are some arguments early on n the thread, but you will see that later on even the arguers agree. Singles are best. But trios or more usually do fine as immature animals.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-34837.html#axzz2DMD0047U

Status
Not open for further replies.