Feeding Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I began to give my Russian tortoise her food in the morining for her to eat throughout the day. Is it better to wait until I get home in the afternoon to feed her, or just give her food in the morning and let her eat it at her own pace?

Jordan67

5 Year Member
As long as it gets fed it doesn't really matter when you feed them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
In the wild, Russians eat when temperatures are right (bare minimum in the high 60s, but usually in the 70s and 80s). In the spring and autumn, this means they eat around midday when it's warm enough. In the summer, this means they eat in the morning and evening to avoid the heat. In other words, temperature matters more than time.

My guys like to eat in the morning, and then nibble on their leftovers throughout the day. :)

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I feed mine in the early afternoon. They are slackers so I let them sleep late.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
My RT is an early riser and is often at his food plate waiting before I get downstairs! He sometimes will eat a little and than go back for more later.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I just throw food in for Vodka when I wake up at 7 AM so she has food throughout the day, since sometimes I don't get home till late. Just feed your tort when it is convenient for you. I like to make a routine of my feeding, so I get into the habit of making sure she is fed.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My kiddos get fed in the am then once it warms up a little they get moved outside. Then they have food waiting for them after their soak once they come in

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.