Feeding question

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Hi friends! My Leo is two and a half and I am still feeding him mazuri pellets with calcium 3x a week. I've been feeding him this plus other grasses/flowers/etc since he was born but I'm wondering for how long I'm supposed to keep up the mazuri and calcium?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Maziri forever if you want calcium I woyld probably stop if you feed a good variety of green and the Mazuri he's probablyy getting more than enough

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto. And if your not feeding, or don't think your feeding a good varied diet, then a pinch once a week is enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only use Mazuri once a week, but there's really nothing wrong with using it more often. But the main meal should be fresh greens, weeds and plants.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not a fan of calcium supplements. I've used them here and there on babies kept indoors, but use VERY little.
Use a nice, varied diet.
Mazuri is also very good stuff.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I feed mine mazuri about once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less but once a week on average.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, Mazuri comes right out of the bag with the proper ratio of calcium to phosphorous and the correct balance with all the other nutrients and trace elements. You should not be adding calcium to your Mazuri feedings. This upsets that balance.

I feed Mazuri to my babies twice a week and to my older tortoises about once or twice a week when I remember to do it. You don't ever "need" to feed it to them, but I think its a good thing to offer periodically. I consider it a supplement to make up for any unseen deficiencies in any seemingly good feeding routine.