Feeding quantity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliette.eliza

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sonoma County, CA
For those of you with indoor set ups, what greens do you feed your tort? How much? How often? And what is your tort's size?

I am learning that I am likely under feeding my tort, and I'm so mad at myself for it, I was cautioned in the past about over feeding, and I'm afraid I've done more damage than good trying to avoid it. :-(

Just trying to get an idea of how much I SHOULD be feeding. Biff is just over 4 lbs and about 7" long.

Thanks!
--
Juliette & Biff

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I chop up my babies' food into bite-sized pieces and mix it all up in a big bowl. I have two baby leopard tortoises, one of which is about Biff's size. I give them a great big glop of food (about as big as the tortoise) once a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are grazers, so I like them to always have good food available for grazing. They do NOT pyramid from eating too much. This is old, incorrect out-dated info. It has been proven incorrect many times here on the forum and in my own collection. Underfeeding only leads to small, stunted tortoises, that will still pyramid if they are in dry conditions when they are small. My 60 pound, 14 year old pyramided adult males are living proof of this. My big, fast growing super smooth babies and juveniles are proof that letting your tortoise eat does NOT cause pyramiding. Have your vet call me if she wants to discuss it and learn something.

As far as what to feed: Grasses and weeds are best. Add in some leaves from various types of hibiscus, roses, grape vines (just the leaves), mulberry trees, and some opuntia cactus pads. Grass hay is good for older/bigger ones, but small ones usually don't eat it much. I try to avoid grocery store foods, but its not the end of the world if you must use it. Endive is my favorite, but a wide variety is best.

Here is my favorite sulcata diet sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-52677.html#axzz2Bbi4cbQO

juliette.eliza

5 Year Member
Sonoma County, CA
Currently, Biff has constant access to orchard grass and Timothy hay, and I am going to increase her fresh greens to a "Biff sized" pile per day of dandelion, collard & mustard greens, Belgian endive, radicchio, romaine, cactus pad, and shredded carrot. All grocery store because I don't really have another option as of yet.

She grazes on the lawn any time the temp is above 70 for about 2-4 hrs per day (as soon as I'm home from work until sunset).

I have planted some tort friendly plants, but have had little success. I also recently purchased the tortoise grazing mix from Carolina Pet Supply which I'm attempting to grow inside and add to her table once it's tall enough to eat.

Are there any other grocery store or garden plants people can recommend for her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are all set. You can add more variety from the grocery store. Try cilantro, bok choy, both types of chard, the lettuces, watercress, carrot tops, celery tops, occasional grated squash or pumpkin, occasional bell peppers, etc...

There is also a product called "Salad Style" that is a great way to make grocery store foods better. It is basically blended grass hays that you sprinkle on top of the greens to add some much needed fiber. Tyler over at tortoisesupply.com sells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.