Feeding only veggies from grocery?

Sequoia

Hello,
I just bought a red foot hatchling and I want to make sure I'm taking care of the little dude perfectly. I keep finding lists of things to feed and them mentioning that variety is SO important but I also live in a town with only a few shops and no car to get out so I was mostly planning on feeding my cutie only vegetables from the grocery store (carrots, lettuce, kale...) I'll mix it up as much as I can but is this healthy? Also are there supplements red foots need? I read somewhere about calcium...?

thanks!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Get a cuttle bone, the pet stores sell them for birds. In the summertime, it's better to feed a more natural diet. Letting them graze on pesticide and fertilizer safe weeds and plants. Take a look on the tortoiselibrary.com for more RF info.

Sequoia

Also, is pretty much everything I find outside okay? Can I grab leaves off trees, grass, weeds etc to feed? And what's the deal with meat and rod foots?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is a web page called The Tortoise Table, with a very conservative list of what things you can pick to feed your tortoise. And there are many people here who can help you identify the plant, there is even a section from the main menu of topics regarding plant ID.

Here is a thread I posted regarding the use of grocery greens. If you want to use one of the 'tortoise' prepared diets, I'd suggest the ZooMed Forest or Grassland diets. Many people like the Mazuri diets. Hardboiled egg is a good animal protein source.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/grocery-store-greens-good.81609/#post-759776

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
few stores/no car sounds like an area where you might find a LOT of dandelions, maybe not so much this late in the year but if you can they're a great green to add to your diet. Frozen fruits (thawed before feeding), earthworms.. you'll probably just end up dumping the piles of grasses/leaves you pull (they are down right picky at times)