Feeding, how often do you?

Brockazoid

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NOGALES, ARIZONA
So I was just wondering how often are you supposed to feed your tortoise? I have a 3 inch baby sulcata and I feed him every other day for the whole day once in the morning and once late afternoon.i mean I let him graze outside the days i don't feed him.can u tell me am I doing it right or should I be feeding him on an everyday basis?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are grazers. They should have the right foods available all day every day. I put in a pile big enough to last all day and give them a fresh pile each day.

Also, babies should not be outside all day. Its not good for them. My general rule of thumb is an hour of access to sunshine for each inch of tortoise, and then a soak on the way back in. Your climate is very similar to mine and this is especially important for us due to the extreme dryness here.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Tortoises are grazers. They should have the right foods available all day every day. I put in a pile big enough to last all day and give them a fresh pile each day.

Also, babies should not be outside all day. Its not good for them. My general rule of thumb is an hour of access to sunshine for each inch of tortoise, and then a soak on the way back in. Your climate is very similar to mine and this is especially important for us due to the extreme dryness here.
I agree with Tom that tortoises are grazers. Although I supplement our CDTs diet daily, this past couple of years I've attempted to grow their primary foods within their enclosure. As the three of them are foracous eaters, I'm still forced to add additional weeds, flowers, and yes, some store-bought spring mix and such. This time of year, they are out and about earlier than I am and don't go back into their burrow until the shadows become long. As we enter the heat of the summer, they'll still come out early, but during the heat of the day they'll stop grazing and either rest under the shade of the trees or go back into their burrow until the heat begins to wane when they'll start grazing once again. Our tortoise yard measures about 60' by roughly 20'. At this point I'm still unable to grow a sustainable diet for them within their yard, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoy treating them with roses, pansies, hibiscus and such. The neighbors all enjoy offering them flowers by hand as well. The torts enjoy accomodating us. Its a good life.

Brockazoid

5 Year Member
NOGALES, ARIZONA

Once again thank you for clearing that up for me.i was kinda figuring that he needed to be allowed to graze whether inside or out.yeah I usually only leave him outside for an hour or two then bring him in to soak.i learned that from you believe it or not, he's gonna get an extra one now cause of the inch thing you just said lol again thanks for the help I truly appreciate it tom.

Brockazoid

5 Year Member
NOGALES, ARIZONA
I agree with Tom that tortoises are grazers. Although I supplement our CDTs diet daily, this past couple of years I've attempted to grow their primary foods within their enclosure. As the three of them are foracous eaters, I'm still forced to add additional weeds, flowers, and yes, some store-bought spring mix and such. This time of year, they are out and about earlier than I am and don't go back into their burrow until the shadows become long. As we enter the heat of the summer, they'll still come out early, but during the heat of the day they'll stop grazing and either rest under the shade of the trees or go back into their burrow until the heat begins to wane when they'll start grazing once again. Our tortoise yard measures about 60' by roughly 20'. At this point I'm still unable to grow a sustainable diet for them within their yard, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoy treating them with roses, pansies, hibiscus and such. The neighbors all enjoy offering them flowers by hand as well. The torts enjoy accomodating us. Its a good life.
Thank you for seconding that statement, and for providing the additional information it really helped me realize how much a tortoise needs to be able to make his own decision on how much he eats a day and how much they can eat.i appreciate the help very much.i planted weed,grass, and flower seeds in his outside enclosure and will be offering him a nice pile of grass every morning to last him till the days end on his inside enclosure.

daniellenc

Maryland
Like everyone else I keep food in the enclosure 24/7 and swap it out once a day for fresh stuff.