"Fast Eddie" not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
Hello all I am a newbie,
I also posted this in the newbie section before I realized that there was a pancake section. I hope that someone will be able to help!
I am new to the forum and glad to be here
I have a 3-4year old male pancake tortoise "Fast Eddie", the love of my life. I have been having some serious troubles with him and am trying desperately to get him to eat. I have been to the vet and he says that I am doing everything right but he still isn't eating. If some one has any ideas PLEASE help! He has a large enclosure that stays on the hot side between 100-105 and on the cooler side 80-90. His humidity it around 50-60 depending on the day, I try to keep it as low as possible. He has lots of hidey spots and loves to crawl around, he's very active. He has two uvb/uva lights. He seems to be quite happy other than not eating. He went into a slight brumation (sorry I don't know how to spell) and this is when this whole horror story started. He didn't eat for three months and I kept calling the vet and took him in twice. The vet that I go to is reptile savvy, the best in the area (lower mainland B.C Canada). He said to wait until he starts loosing weight so I kept monitoring and then he started to be A LOT more active. The sun started to finally shine so he was going out side quite a bit. Well I took him in to get a vitamin shot to stimulate his apatite. When I got him home it was a beautiful day so I took him out side and he was walking around and started eating a weed, I was soooo happy until my mother in law told me that it was butter cups and they are very poisonous I was crushed and called the vet immediately and the vet said to just watch him and see if he has bloody stool or is salivating, the butter cups can cause ulcerations through out the digestive system. Well thank goodness that he seemed to be OK even did his first poop in months, which was totally fine. But he stopped eating Well since he was out of his sleepy state he was walking around lots and I take him out when I am at home to just walk around the house. So he started to loose weight so I closely monitored him and when it got to a dangerous point (160g) I took him in to the vet. He did surgery and put in a feeding tube. The poor guy! He had a feeding tube in for 1 month and he gained quite a bit of weight 40g! So he just got the tube out and I've been putting quite the arrangement of food in his home trying to get him to eat. I have even been trying sweeter things which I know he isn't suppose to eat but the vet said anything at this point is awesome! So he gets spring mix with no spinach, romaine lettuce, grape tomato, cherry (just trying today), grass, carrot, dandelion, tortoise pellets, butternut squash, mint, parsley, cilantro, tortoise food from the pet store that is supposed to make them want to eat?, broccoli, cactus when i can find it, and melon. I am so stressed and just want him to do well he is currently sitting at 200g but this wont stay like this for long because of all of his activities. If any one can help I would so greatly appreciate it!!!!! I apologize for the novel just hoping that the info will help.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hello-all-I-am-a-newbie#ixzz1zD6eaPF8

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
So my little buddy has decided to eat strawberries of all things.... I know that he's not really suppose to eat it but I guess it's better than nothing! So today I rubbed his lettuce down with strawberries hoping for the best. If any one has any ideas please let me know

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Wow....he has been a little bugger huh? ;)

If he likes strawberries then give him strawberries.....also maybe you can put some strawberries in a blender and then take that and put it in a bowl and then chop up some dandelion and romaine lettuce really really small and then mix that in with the strawberry blend and really mix it up so all is together....and give it to him..

Also, you can get some squash, watermelon, canteloupe and other tasty things ( later you will need to wean him off of this diet, right? :p)...right now he needs to eat....

I would also do warm water soaks daily and I would offer a warm water soak with carrot or sweet potato jarred baby food...this will allow him to drink some of the nutrition in and also his body will absorb some as well....

Did the vet check his mouth? and throat to make sure all looks aok there....no cuts, no stickers, no sores?

EKLC

5 Year Member
I agree with Angela. I use canned pumpkin (no sweeteners, pure pumpkin) baths and the torts usually love drinking pumpkin water. Try to alter the feeding preparation and placement. Pancakes can be a bit shy, so maybe he'd rather eat somewhere covered a bit. very small cactus bites are also a favorite of recovering torts

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
Thank you guys those are great ideas. The vet has checked him from head to toe and is familial with this type of tortoise, he said he looks in perfect health and is boggled why he isn't eating. He was very shy when I first got him about a year ago but since then has really come out of his shell:) lol. He loves coming out of his habitat to walk around the house and chase the dog, he also loooves out side. Unfortunately I live in BC Canada which seems to get more rain than sunshine! When hes outside he doesn't go far from me and will always come back, he doesn't for my husband but I do more stuff with him. As soon as we walking the door and past his tank he wakes up and asks for out. He is really social now and every one just loves him:cool: Does any one have their's wanting to eat butter cups? I know they are suppose to be posinous but he actually runs for them and will try and eat as much as possible before i can take it away:( I have done some research on this and it causes ulcers through the digestive tract. I have also read some stuff saying that African tortoises do tend to eat them and they can get a high effect from it? I am unsure about this there is a lot of garbage on the internet! However we have to watch him like a hawk and he still manages to get some here and there. Do you have any problems like this and how do you deal with it? I really appreciate the help and the ideas and suggestions! You guys rock!!!!

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
When you feed him keep all the different types of veggies separate. If he doesnt like one and it is mixed in with the others he will not eat. Mine hates herbs. If there are herbs on his greens he will taste and walk away. He is also picky about some others so instead of chopping it all up together I do sections of each kind. He is a great eater now. He does prefer romaine and spring mix to anything else. I've never been able to get either of mine to eat anything other than leafy greens.
Good luck.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmm ... sounds more like a "fasting Eddie" to me. Just kidding!

But seriously, let me respond to your last post:
Mrs.Robinson said:
Does any one have their's wanting to eat butter cups? I know they are suppose to be posinous but he actually runs for them and will try and eat as much as possible before i can take it away:( I have done some research on this and it causes ulcers through the digestive tract. I have also read some stuff saying that African tortoises do tend to eat them and they can get a high effect from it? I am unsure about this there is a lot of garbage on the internet! However we have to watch him like a hawk and he still manages to get some here and there. Do you have any problems like this and how do you deal with it? I really appreciate the help and the ideas and suggestions! You guys rock!!!!

Tortoises can detoxify plants that would make other herbivores very ill. Sheep have a very limited ability to eat buttercups, but tortoises can eat a lot more (relative to their body size), and like to feed on them from time to time. In fact, some research indicates that when tortoises have a high gut parasite load, they like to eat toxic plants like buttercups and poppies to kill some of the parasites. Tortoises that already have a healthy gut seem to prefer milder plants.

I would let your pancake tort eat what he likes. Unless the plants have pesticides or herbicides on them, he should be able to determine what he should or shouldn't eat on his own.

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
Thank you every one for all of the ideas and tips! :D
He has been checked and is clear of parasites. I will try separating his food more Iv'e noticed he doesn't like it when I cut things up he likes the pieces big for some reason. I read on the tortoise table that buttercups can make them sick but it's ok in small amounts. I talked to the vet today and he said to keep him away from it. It makes me wonder though cause he literally runs for it. I've read on the internet lots of people feeding it to their tortoise and them being fine. And if they made him feel so sick why does he want to eat it?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Mrs.Robinson said:
Thank you every one for all of the ideas and tips! :D
He has been checked and is clear of parasites. I will try separating his food more Iv'e noticed he doesn't like it when I cut things up he likes the pieces big for some reason. I read on the tortoise table that buttercups can make them sick but it's ok in small amounts. I talked to the vet today and he said to keep him away from it. It makes me wonder though cause he literally runs for it. I've read on the internet lots of people feeding it to their tortoise and them being fine. And if they made him feel so sick why does he want to eat it?

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think some sources out there on tortoise diets are either out of date or too cautious. In the wild, tortoises eat all sorts of plants that are on the "Do Not Feed" list. Mediterranean tortoises (Testudo spp.) eat plants that ungulates cannot. Pancake tortoises are closely related to Mediterranean tortoises, so the same likely applies to them. My advice is to let him eat what he likes. Tortoises usually crave what they need. Even fruits and invertebrates can be good for them, although not too frequently or in large quantities, as in the wild they would not encounter them very often.

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
Well a little updat on my buddy Fast Eddie:tort: He loves his pumkin soak which I have been giving to him every day just trying to get some nutrtion in to him. He sticks his whole face in the mixture and drinks like he hasn't seen water in months. He seems happy I take him outside everyday and let him walk around. He's been very active and will eat a piece of clover and a bite of lettuce. He's worse than a two year old:( He just doesn't want to eat:( He is still pooping but hes down to every 5-6 days in between where as when he had his tube he was pooping every day. His weight is down to 181g now and of course i'm soooo nervous! I tried not feeding him in the morning but in the afternoon in stead and apparently changing routine just pisses him off so he didn't eat anything that day. So I am back to feeding him in the morning. I have all of his food separated around the tank so that nothing is touching just incase that if he doesn't want it touching one another. I've also put in a container of cat grass hoping that he might just want living plants. He seems to want the food that's growing outside better. I will bring him to work with me on friday to see if that will help. He usually eats in the truck on the way to the vet. So may be I will take him for a drive. He is very social. I feel like a nut job! But I am trying everything! You guys have been so helpful and I am truly grateful! A HUGE THANKS!!!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmm ... I think a more hands-off approach with minimal handling usually works better, because it minimizes stress. Instead of driving him around or taking him to work, I would leave him at home where it's nice and quiet. Unless he has to be transported (like to the vet, if necessary), I would let him stay at home. Also, I would handle him only when you need to.

As for humidity, 50-60% is fine. Don't worry about it.

I would, however, consider lowering the temperature. The basking spot should be 95-100*F, with ambient temperatures ideally in the 70s, and nighttime temps preferably in the 60s if possible. My concern is that your guy might be a bit too warm, which would reduce his appetite. If he has a fairly cool environment - with a nice hot spot he can bask in if he wants to - I think his appetite might return.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know if this will work with Fast Eddie, but for a hatchling Manouria that wouldn't eat, I found that placing the food right in front of or just inside of the hide works. She feels comfortable enough to eat almost every day now.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yep, I put my food right at the opening to the hide. I have food available all day long and I rarely handle except to move them outside/inside or to their water for soaking.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
johanna said:
Yep, I put my food right at the opening to the hide. I have food available all day long and I rarely handle except to move them outside/inside or to their water for soaking.

How often are you soaking? A lot of keepers soak everyday or every other day, but in my opinion, that is too frequent. Unless your tortoise is ill, dehydrated, or emaciated, then soaking an indoor tortoise once a week is fine. I think that more often would be stressful for them. Less often than this may be fine, too, but it's reasonable to bathe them once a week to make sure they're hydrated.

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
I don't usually soak him everyday but since he has had his feeding tube out and I got the lovley idea of using purreed pumpkin in it. I have also been using some ground up dired grass like stuff that the vet has given to me. He seems to love it and drinks lots of it! He also has a dish that stays in his home and he uses that more to go to the bathroom in. It's interesting about saying may be I am handleing him too much... I find this very curious cause if I don't talk to him and say hello he will hide all day and won't come out of his hides at all:( However if i say hello he comes out right away and will climb repeatetly at the wall of his habitate until I take hime out. Then he walks around forever. Do you think hes doing this cause hes stressed out? I have a cat tube that he walks in and out and around. He also will chase the dog around. To me I thought he was playing? He is very active according to vet compared to most pancake tortoises that he has come in contact with. I always thought he loved walking around. He definantly loves going outside! He seems to be eating more outside than indoors but the trick has been to keep him away from eating buttercups. How often do you let your tortoises walk around for outside their homes? And why do you think that everytime I take him to the vet he will eat in the car ride? I will lower his temp a bit in his tank and see if that will help. I really just want the best for my little buddy!! And just for an update on him he did eat a tiny bit of romaine yesterday. How much do they need to eat to be healthy? THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the tips and ideas!!! :D

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
Hmmmm..... It seems my reply didn't post:( So just an update on how hes doing, he did eat a bit of romaine lettuce yesterday. Thank goodness! I have been soaking him every day but adding pumpkin puree and this dried ground up grass like stuff that the vet gave me and I was using to feed him when he had the feeding tube in. He seems to really like it and is drinking every day. I only put him in the soak for 5-7 min, after that he seems to loose interest and tries to get out. That's interesting about may be trying a more hands off approach. If I din't say hello to him he will just hide all day. But as soon as i start talking to him he comes out of his hides and climbs at the walls so that when I take him out. I also take him out side on sunny days and he seems to eat a bite here and there. I try to keep him away from the butter cups but they seem to be a fav of his? Vet keeps saying that its bad for him even tho there is a lot of conflicting info on this topic. the only reason I was thinking of taking him to work was for the longer car ride. every time I take him to the vet he seems to eat something on the way, but may be its cause he cools down. But some one had made a point saying that I could try to lower the temp of his tank a bit. I will try tonight. I figure I am doing something that isn't right cause he gets a HUGE variety of food every day. Which I have placed all around his tank so that they aren't touching just in case he doesn't like something. THANK YOU all for all of the ideas. You guys rock!!!!! I just want him to get better! I love my little buddy! Just so every one knows he doesn't have any sand in his home for over a year now but I love this photo, and the second one always makes me smile.

ooops sorry guys it seems it did post... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• barb\'s phone 2012 046.JPG
    barb\'s phone 2012 046.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 31
  • barb\'s phone 2012 045.JPG
    barb\'s phone 2012 045.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 30

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
RE: "Fast Eddie" not eating

When I take my tortoise in the car some where he starts to poop out of nervousness.

Mrs.Robinson

5 Year Member
When I take Eddie in the car he just walks around and checks stuff out for a bit. Then some times he eats. Hes never pooped in the car... But if it stresses him out I don't want that either. I just want him to eat! He did eat a tine piece of lettuce on the weekend and hes the same weight which is great. Fingers still crossed! Thank you all for the suggestions!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I suspect the reason some tortoises and box turtles walk around while riding in a car is that they are trying to escape. Turtles detect vibrations through their shells, and moving vehicles give off a lot of vibrations. This probably makes them uncomfortable or frightens them. Maybe your guy is different, if his appetite increases in the car, I don't know. But as a general rule of thumb, it's best to transport turtles (and most other animals) as little as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.