False Bottom

baldegale

so, i have a redfoot tortoise and im bulding him a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft tank for him and i was wondering if it would be logical to use a false bottom in the tank? no matter what i do the substrate (coco husk) always gets a mildewy smell but no mold. also, can anyone recommend a good substrate to buy bulk thats good and cheap? thank you for your time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

There's good guidance on keeping redfoots here
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

Coco coir is a good substrate. You buy it in 'bricks' online or from a garden store and soak it with a little water so it breaks down into the damp soil substrate your tort will love

How big is your tort? 4'x4' will only be big enough for young/small torts. Larger ones need at least double that.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
so, i have a redfoot tortoise and im bulding him a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft tank for him and i was wondering if it would be logical to use a false bottom in the tank? no matter what i do the substrate (coco husk) always gets a mildewy smell but no mold. also, can anyone recommend a good substrate to buy bulk thats good and cheap? thank you for your time.

Is the substrate sitting in any standing water? If so that could be the source of the smell.

baldegale

Hello and welcome to TFO

There's good guidance on keeping redfoots here
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/

Coco coir is a good substrate. You buy it in 'bricks' online or from a garden store and soak it with a little water so it breaks down into the damp soil substrate your tort will love

How big is your tort? 4'x4' will only be big enough for young/small torts. Larger ones need at least double that.
hes only 5-7 cant remember how long ago i got him but he is plenty small enough right now. when he gets bigger im gonna sell the one i build and build a bigger one. i already use coco coir, just didnt know if there was a specific brand/place to get it that was cheaper.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's a good idea to line the enclosure with plastic to protect the wood. You can either use sheet plastic that comes on a roll, or buy a cheap shower curtain liner. Spot clean the substrate daily, removing any old food that's gotten trampled into the substrate and any poop you can see. Take your hand (or a fork if you're squeamish) and stir up the substrate then pat it down with the palm of your hand.

I use orchid bark and I don't ever smell bad smells coming from my indoor habitats.

baldegale

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's a good idea to line the enclosure with plastic to protect the wood. You can either use sheet plastic that comes on a roll, or buy a cheap shower curtain liner. Spot clean the substrate daily, removing any old food that's gotten trampled into the substrate and any poop you can see. Take your hand (or a fork if you're squeamish) and stir up the substrate then pat it down with the palm of your hand.

I use orchid bark and I don't ever smell bad smells coming from my indoor habitats.

well my current enclosure is made out of wood and has plastic covering it but the new one is going to be made out of acrylic. also, how many quarts per square foot of the orchid bark? and what depth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually have it about 4 or 5" deep. I pour a pitcher full of water over it whenever it starts to dry out, and it stir it up with my hand then pat it down. This gets oxygen back into it and breaks up the compressed spots.

baldegale

wheres the best place to buy orchid bark? i figured im going to need 192 dry quarts of it. so far ive only checked at home depot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you don't have an Orchard Supply Hardware in your town, call around to different plant nurseries. I've never seen it at the big box stores.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Orchid bark IS fir bark, however, you know it's pure because orchids are sensitive. Tom buys regular fir bark and swears by it.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Home Depot usually has Orchard Bark in small 8qt bags, but it is a coarse grade and slightly expensive at $5 a bag.

That being said, I just replaced all the substrate in one of my enclosures as I moved one tortoise out and replaced it with another. It was the first time I've tried anything that wasn't coco coir and so far I like it substantially better than the coir. In the spring when the local nursery opens I may see if I can snag some bags of fine grade stuff and from now on any smaller tortoises I aquire that require closed chambers will be getting orchard or fir bark.

baldegale

is fir bark good? i dont know of any nurserys near me. i figured im gonna need 192 quarts of it. so its gonna be expensive

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I believe fir bark is orchid bark.

I have a 6'x3' and it only took 64qts to get me to 3" deep. I was thinking about adding another 32qts, but haven't done it yet. I think you estimate of 192 seems really high.

Another heads up, Home Depot doesn't keep enough of their Orchid Bark in stock. They generally only seem to have 5 or 6 bags at a time, and like I mentioned only have coarse grade. What you really want is the fine grade.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchid bark and fir bark are the same thing, but like Yvonne said, if its labeled "orchid bark" you can bet it will be cleaner and more uniform in size.

I like it because I can keep the lower layers damp which helps with humidity, but the upper layers stay dry-ish which is essential for a RF.

baldegale

well my dimensions that i estimated are 4 ft x 4ft x 5in for depth. (having a redfoot they love to burrow) thats why the math is so high

baldegale

Orchid bark and fir bark are the same thing, but like Yvonne said, if its labeled "orchid bark" you can bet it will be cleaner and more uniform in size.

I like it because I can keep the lower layers damp which helps with humidity, but the upper layers stay dry-ish which is essential for a RF.

alright ill take note of that. also, i have an issue keeping up humidity in my tank. would a fogger be okay? ive been looking into that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
alright ill take note of that. also, i have an issue keeping up humidity in my tank. would a fogger be okay? ive been looking into that.

Personally, I don't like using foggers. I'd rather plug the leak. I used closed chambers and my humidity doesn't go anywhere, so I don't need to continually pump in new humidity.

baldegale

how do you go about doing that with hit lamps and UVB lights? id much rather have it closed off but since i live in tennessee my room is barely humid.