Falling in love with a tortoise

Morlas Mama

Location (City and/or State)
NW Indiana
I'm Sarah, 35, from NW Indiana. I recently welcomed a 2 year old sulcata into my home. We named her Morla (the ancient turtle from Neverending story). She came from a coworker who purchased two sulcatas but shortly after released she couldn't give them both what they needed. So I adopted my Morla.

This is my first tortoise which I have lovingly willed to my unborn grandchildren. I am interested in learning everything I can to care for Morla and give her the best environment possible to thrive in for the remainder of my life. Since she will undoubtedly outlive me with the proper care, I am taking my oldest son along on this journey so he can provide for her after I am gone.

I am open to learning as much as possible from these forums and hopefully make some tortoise loving friends along the way!
image.jpg

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
Right now she is in a temporary housing aka rubbermade box. Her real enclosure is being delivered on Wednesday. Here is a pic of the temporary.

Here's her set up and I was told she is 2-3 yrs old and the runt of the liter (if that's pertinent):

She has a heating pad underneath the left side of the box and a heating lamp (UVA/UVB/night bulbs) on left as well. Right side is for cooling. I've been switching out the bulbs everyday with 8-10hrs UVA/with heat, 4 UVB/with no heat , 2-3 hrs nighttime/with heat and then lights out for the night. The person that owned her the last 4 months did not expose her to UVB at all and that worried me. It's 25-30°F outside during the day where I live, so way to cold to get her outside nor is there much sun. I would love any advice on if I'm doing the right thing with the lighting and heating.

I've been keeping the temporary habitat between 78-80°F during the day (measured temps in the lowest part of the box at the furthest area away from heat lamps). And 72-75°F during the night. Humidity is reading about 37-39% on average. I have the habitat in an enclosed walk in closet with a bowl of warm water and a space heater but still struggling on raising humidity. I also have a wet sponge on top of her little log house (sleeping area) to help. I think I'm going to drill a hole in it the top tomorrow to raise humidity inside the log. Any tips on raising humidity or if it even needs raising would be appreciated.

She has Timothy hay in a corner which she refuses to eat but likes to play in. I have been feeding her spring mix but before you yell at me (lol) I've only had her a couple days and I thought changing her diet and environment all at once could be too stressful. My plan is to wean her slowly off the people veggies and onto a more grass/weed diet. Hopefully one I can grow in my year round indoor garden.

Her previous owner was giving her calcium supplements, which I have not yet. I'm reading cuttlebone with the shell off is best but I'm unsure her little jaws are ready for that. Maybe crushed calcium powder? Suggestions?

What else....oh I do put her in warm water just barely up to her tiny hind knees first thing in the morning for 2-3 minutes. She does her business in there and wets her little eyes. I then clean out the entire enclosure, substrate, hay and the paper towels underneath it all and give her fresh water and food for the day.

Is there anything else I should be doing that I'm not or things I need to revise? I've had her less than a week so I'm learning as I go.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
image.jpg Oops forgot the picture.

That blue lid is her temporary water dish and she's passed out all sprawled out right were the mat warmer's edge is underneath.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
heat pads are not good for torts because they need to get there heat from above(i just learned this a more experienced member can explain it to you).
the temps need to be around 95 on the basking spot and 75 on the cool end, the temps need to be at least 85 to digest food properly. cuttle bone is what everyone using, you get crush some of it u and sprinkle on its food. yea the enclosures to small, when can you increase it?

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
The basking spot stays between 89-92 degrees. Those temps I gave are for the cool spots in the enclosure. The ones furthest from the light and away from the heating pad.

I had not heard that about the heating pad. Everything I read said above and below heating. I will definitely investigate that more.

Her habitat is ordered and will be delivered on Wednesday. It's over twice as big as her current one. Thanks for the tips!

Zeko

5 Year Member
Show us pictures of your light bulbs you are using. This is usually the first thing people get wrong, and needs fixing.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
image.jpg She's in my sons closet and he's sleeping. All I can get to tonight is the packages. Please remember I've only had her a couple days and had to throw what I could together quickly as we weren't expecting her. I know there is much to be upgraded and I'm willing to make the financial investments to do so.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
The basking spot stays between 89-92 degrees. Those temps I gave are for the cool spots in the enclosure. The ones furthest from the light and away from the heating pad.

I had not heard that about the heating pad. Everything I read said above and below heating. I will definitely investigate that more.

Her habitat is ordered and will be delivered on Wednesday. It's over twice as big as her current one. Thanks for the tips!
also the soaks should be around 30 minutes everyday.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
View attachment 108290 She's in my sons closet and he's sleeping. All I can get to tonight is the packages. Please remember I've only had her a couple days and had to throw what I could together quickly as we weren't expecting her. I know there is much to be upgraded and I'm willing to make the financial investments to do so.
coiled bulbs damage tortoises eyes.:( needs to be replaced. I'm unsure about the blue light i have never seen it before.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
Coiled bulbs bad. Got it. Thank you! I'd only used that one the first time today so hopefully no damage done.