Falling in love with a tortoise

Morlas Mama

Location (City and/or State)
NW Indiana
I have about zero history on this one unfortunately. The coworker who gave her to me said the guy she bought from told her 2-3 years. She's tiny right? I questioned this also but then read they grow at different rates. It's so hard to weed through everything and find any solid answers on anything. All I know is what I was told. IMHO, she's barely three inches. I think she was sold illegally and he boosted the age and the "runt" angle to sell her to my coworker.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I have about zero history on this one unfortunately. The coworker who gave her to me said the guy she bought from told her 2-3 years. She's tiny right? I questioned this also but then read they grow at different rates. It's so hard to weed through everything and find any solid answers on anything. All I know is what I was told. IMHO, she's barely three inches. I think she was sold illegally and he boosted the age and the "runt" angle to sell her to my coworker.
if she is that age your coworker didn't feed her at all. i have seen 20+ pound 3 year olds. she about the size of a 1 month old sulcata.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
if she is that age your coworker didn't feed her at all. i have seen 20+ pound 3 year olds. she about the size of a 1 month old sulcata.
No I know she fed her. She works in veterinary medicine and wouldn't do that. My guess is either she misheard 2-3 years from 2-3 months or the guy was less than forthcoming to make a sale. Either way she's mine now and I want the best for her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

(russian/sulcata/tortoise is one of our younger, more precocious members. He's very friendly, knowledgeable, and would never intentionally offend.)

If you get a Mercury Vapor Bulb, you would be able to do away with those three you now use, and only have two fixtures. I say 'two' because you will still need some sort of night time heat. You can use the black light for night, or you can buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). The MVB gives off UVB plus heat. I use MVB for day, and a 60 watt black light for night. Be sure your receptacle, or light fixture, has a ceramic base and is rated for the watts of the MVB. They get VERY hot.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Congratulations. No matter how old he is, he is adorable. Sulcatas are a handful, but so worth it. It will be overwhelming, confusing and probably expensive to get him set up right, but then he will grow and grow and delight you daily. Welcome to the forum!

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
Hi, Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

(russian/sulcata/tortoise is one of our younger, more precocious members. He's very friendly, knowledgeable, and would never intentionally offend.)

If you get a Mercury Vapor Bulb, you would be able to do away with those three you now use, and only have two fixtures. I say 'two' because you will still need some sort of night time heat. You can use the black light for night, or you can buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). The MVB gives off UVB plus heat. I use MVB for day, and a 60 watt black light for night. Be sure your receptacle, or light fixture, has a ceramic base and is rated for the watts of the MVB. They get VERY hot.

Good info to have thank you! So question; I already have the nighttime bulb that emits heat. So I'm set on that time of the day. However, should I run the MVB and UVA at the same time? The UVA I am currently using is heat also. I completely rebuilt her habitat today to fix heat and humidity control and I finally have 3 steady temps as per Tom's care sheet and ALMOST the humidity recommended. I really wish I lived somewhere I could sun bathe her but I just don't. Run the UVA and MVB same time?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
Congratulations. No matter how old he is, he is adorable. Sulcatas are a handful, but so worth it. It will be overwhelming, confusing and probably expensive to get him set up right, but then he will grow and grow and delight you daily. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you Jodie! So far I'm having a lot of fun!
Sarah

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!!! She is very cute! I'm thinking she is only a few months also. There must have been a miscommunication. I wonder if the more experienced members could tell more from a underside shot, there could be a scar from the egg sac.

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
That would be awesome! I didn't know age could be narrowed by the underside. Does this help? Any educated guesses to age? image.jpgimage.jpg

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area